Best Transmission???

bags1010

Rockstar
I am installing a 600 hp twin turbo 12v in my superduty. I am curious as to who makes the best 4r100. Mine is already wore out, so I figure its worth a core now. I have talked to 3 builders:BTS, ATS, and Suncoast. I get 3 different answers and prices. BTS is the cheapest, but has never built one to fit a 12v. ATS will only build the one that is "loaded" and very expensive with a limited warranty. Suncoast is local to me (3 hours), but very arrogant and expensive. Just trying to find out what I need to do while waiting on parts to come in. I do not want to start any problems between companies, just real time advice.

I'm in the same boat right now...trying to decide on a 4R100 for my Common Rail swap or a built Dodge tranny. I'm trying to decide who's can take the most abuse since my motor tentatively will be 800+ on fuel and 1000+ on nitrous.
IMHO...for the 4R100....call John Wood www.jwtt.com
If I had to have one built...he'd be my first and only call.
For the adaptors...whch you may already know...but www.destroked.com looks to have the best stuff out there right now.

just a question to throw out there... would it be better to go with an early e40d so no electronics is needed? (not sure if any is needed or not for the e4od's?) or a similiar none electric transmission instead of messing with controllers, etc? im just thinking out loud and hoping someone can fill me in on the swap info. if i do keep my truck, i am thinking of going the cummins route for power. but want to learn as much before i swap it since i cant keep my truck down for too long.

E4ODs are electronically controlled... you'd need to go to a diesel C6 to aviod the electronics. And then you lose your overdrive and lockup converter.

so how is everyone doing it with the 4r100? a controller of some sort? or using the stock computer? im just curious and want to learn before i try. i can get my hands of a few diff. cummins. not sure which year/model would be best to go with. suggestions?

John Wood just built a tranny for our 05 prodject truck..... that guy is great on customer service so far. That goes along way in my book.

I think it would be neat to see a Ford with the cummins conversion and an allison trans behind it....just food for thought :)

I saw the TS transmission adapter in DP Mag the other day. I wonder how they get the wiring and computer stuff ironed out?

They kinda do wiring and computers Pete LOL

Actually SC has a swap kit to put an Allison in a Dodge, so alot of the hard stuff was already done. They also got help from Fleece Performance Engineering as well.

UNBROKEN said:
I'm in the same boat right now...trying to decide on a 4R100 for my Common Rail swap or a built Dodge tranny.
no 5r110 with the "ats" controller?

SINNER said:

IMO, I would rather run the 4R100, which is proven in front of a cummins instead of a 5R110 which is questionable in front of a 6.0

SINNER said:
No 5R110 period...no way in hell it'll take what I plan to throw at it....As far as the controller...if you're talking about the stand alone controller (not the co-pilot) it's made by a company called PCS...ATS just paints them purple and sticks their name on it.

Back