Best VP44 pump?

kino_fab

KTPA Tech Official
Hye guys. I was just wondering on opinions on the best VP44 pump out there. I know those 2 words really do not go together, but here is what I am trying to do. Hopfully in the next few week I am trading my 04 dually to a 99 2500 ex-cab short bed. I am going to make a puller out of it, and I have a few Ideas for a good setup. Reason for a VP44 is so I can still run in the work stock classes. The truck already has 150hp BullyDog sticks, Fass 150, Edge Drag comp, and a SBC big single disk (not sure of exact model). Heres what I plan on doing. Smarty stack with the Edge, Good VP44, II 62/12 Turbo, Dual disk clutch, ported and fire ringed head, mild street cam, titanium valve train, along with a few other supporting mods. I am not very familiar with the 2nd gen 24v's when it comes to mod setups, so any opinions on this setup would help.

Thanks,

Bragg

Why not pull with the cr? I would leave the factory vp. If your stacking boxes your not going to gain anything buy changing the injection pump except for being 1800 dollors short of your next mod.

Well one reason I am trading is because I can't really afford a high payment and try to build a truck at the same time, so I am working on finding ways to save money, and another reason is for what I am going to use the truck for, I would hate to ruin a good CR thats only 3 years old.

i know a couple guys running tst/smarty stack and are real happy with it. and one thats running tst/hasiley sled pull box, i think the hasley box is 180/200hp, but it isnint a streetable box, it's either on or off and kicks on at 1800 rpms.

i wouldnt replace the vp untill ya have to.

thanks for the input guys. I guess getting a new pump to pull in a 2.5 class is basically useless.

smoken02 said:
Why not pull with the cr? I would leave the factory vp. If your stacking boxes your not going to gain anything buy changing the injection pump except for being 1800 dollors short of your next mod.
Are you kid'n me?... Must not have heard of a Scheid hot rod VP44?... That pump will flow a lot more fuel that a stocker! On a stock set up its good for another 100hp and 200FLBS. Everyone thats serious about anything and hasn't P-pumped their trucks yet, all run those pumps.:bang

Rob_Bones said:
Are you kid'n me?... Must not have heard of a Scheid hot rod VP44?... That pump will flow a lot more fuel that a stocker! On a stock set up its good for another 100hp and 200FLBS. Everyone thats serious about anything and hasn't P-pumped their trucks yet, all run those pumps.:bang

do you know of any dyno sheets to prove that?

i have heard of a few guys running Scheid's and II HR pumps and don't see much if any after there are above 500 hp

Scott

Those pump's have less of an increase the more you go up in HP, thats why I said "stock" set up, but no I have not personally seen a dyno sheet to prove it. I don't know many guys that would dyno a almost stock truck. I do know it made a big difference on my truck even though its far from stock.

Rob_Bones said:
Are you kid'n me?... Must not have heard of a Scheid hot rod VP44?... That pump will flow a lot more fuel that a stocker!

Then please, tell me exactly how this pump is calibrated and programmed?

A VP44 must be calibrated on a certified Bosch stand, and if the vp on it is "flowing a lot more fuel then stock" it will throw a red flag and will not calibrate the pump.

A truck with a hotrod pump will dyno higher on a truck with no fueling box, but it will dyno within 10 hp of a truck with a fueling box set on the highest setting. It has been proven on many different trucks and many different dynos.

farmboysdiesel said:
Go with Smarty/TST or Smarty/Redline and you'll see a much better result.

Or, if you actually want to make horsepower, stack the TST or Redline with a EZ or VA box.

Hi!!! I have a VP-44 hot rod pump w/drag comp smarty stack, pro street twins, dragon flow sticks, oringed running 70PSI boost 3000cc water meith inj SB 3850 twin clutch and let me tell you it pulls really well for a VP motor it put down 580rwhp and 1140 torque on the dyno but that was on road fuel and only 1000cc inj nozzle and found that if I turned down my drag comp it pulled a lot better so that maybe way some guys are using different stacks but I will tell you that the hot rod pump works much better than stock it will pour the coal real well you can check a video on you tube of my truck type in westfield truck pulls and at the end I blew a boot off but I won almost every pull this year so any question feel free to ask .

bcummins said:
Hi!!! I have a VP-44 hot rod pump w/drag comp smarty stack, pro street twins, dragon flow sticks, oringed running 70PSI boost 3000cc water meith inj SB 3850 twin clutch and let me tell you it pulls really well for a VP motor it put down 580rwhp and 1140 torque on the dyno but that was on road fuel and only 1000cc inj nozzle and found that if I turned down my drag comp it pulled a lot better so that maybe way some guys are using different stacks but I will tell you that the hot rod pump works much better than stock it will pour the coal real well you can check a video on you tube of my truck type in westfield truck pulls and at the end I blew a boot off but I won almost every pull this year so any question feel free to ask .

First, You are about 100hp lower then you should be with that combo.

Second, learn to use something called paragraphs.

Third, go dyno your truck with a standard 027 pump, and I bet you will be within a few hp of what you are with a hot rod pump.

MKoth said:
Or, if you actually want to make horsepower, stack the TST or Redline with a EZ or VA box.

Could not agree more. Stack a good timing box with a good fueling box and leave the Smarty at home.

Keep the SO pump and spend the money on other mods.

MKoth said:
First, You are about 100hp lower then you should be with that combo.

Second, learn to use something called paragraphs.

Third, go dyno your truck with a standard 027 pump, and I bet you will be within a few hp of what you are with a hot rod pump.
lmao :doh:

i do know 1 guy on here that did dyno a SO pump and a HR pump back to back and seen no difference

he did say that under 500hp the HR was a good choice over 500hp it was a waste of $$$

Scott

it-are-a-fact.jpg

A drag box by its self is the best , I just dynoed the JVD H with all combos stack with smarty on 3 different levels and tried the comp with smarty with level 8 , over all the comp made 100+ hp over all combos by it self usen a SO pump and 2 bad injectors , I talked to a guy whos tried 4 HRVP from both companys and a 215 SO out done them , ask David dunbar what makes the most power a good OLD drag box is very hard to beat , I also had a TST comp but its trashed so I didnt dyno it but on the road the comp is alot smoother and feels better ...

farmboysdiesel said:
Go with Smarty/TST or Smarty/Redline and you'll see a much better result.
Hey Gus, Why didn't you recommend THE MONSTER PUMP ???