Best way to spool a Silver bullet 66?

cumminsbus

Reconstruction Era
Just put the new turbo on and was wondering whats the best way to get the turbo spooled up for like a highway run??

From a stop it spools and pulls dang good just needing to find a way to get the turbo to spool on the highway...

Im currently running the bullydog on crazy larry and 90 hp sticks....
SMARTY is on the way!!

:charger:

Well to spool a turbo you need to this

1: put truck in drive
2: left foot on brake *the one on the left*
3: give it a little fuel with the skinny pedal on the right (with your right foot)
4: when boost builds up take your left foot off the brake
5: use right foot again and put the skinny pedal to the floor

I know the steps may be confusing for you now but trust me it will get easier!

ok jk but your truck does run pretty good from a stop.

Last edited:
would have probably spooled better had you done a burnout at DI and let me video it! LOL :poke:

Well to spool a turo you need to this

1: put truck in drive
2: left foot on brake *the one on the left*
3: give it a little fuel with the skinny pedal on the right (with your right foot)
4: when boost builds up take your left foot off the brake
5: use right foot again and put the skinny pedal to the floor

I know the steps may be confusing for you now but trust me it will get easier!

ok jk but your truck does run pretty good from a stop.

Umm Im not a Mexican and trying to spool My "turo" lawnmower

would have probably spooled better had you done a burnout at DI and let me video it! LOL :poke:

You talkin to me or cody because neither of us fell for "mr. I own competitiondiesel.com :hehe: do a burnout or your nothin" bit.

fill out your sig.

When I first got my bullet on it felt like I lost 50hp. I don't know if they're tight to start with, or what.

The bullet lights fairly easily, especially with bigger injectors, pressure box, and a smarty. Turn up the TM and back down the timing.

The 90hp sticks are great, don't have much experience with the BD. If you don't have a modded CP3, get one. I dynoed about 55hp more with the modded pump. 605 stock vs. 659 modded. However, the power under the curve was way up with the modded pump.

Last edited:
i was the one filming behind timbo! I would have sufficed with cummins bus doing his own burnout, i knew you guys "probably" weren't dumb enough to give your keys to timbo... LOL I still can't believe the kid in chase's old red dodge turned over the keys!

Next year I will do something....

I feel like I am having to learn how to drive all over again with this 66

you'll need a smaller turbo if you want easier spooling. As you said, relearning to drive the truck will help. At highway speed I down shift out of OD, give it a second for the rpms to build and slowly get one it. Boost at 70 is around 2 or 3psi. My 66 doesn't light until 10psi or at least 1800rpms.

For larger chargers its better to roll into the throttle easy until you have atleast 10-15psi built before you go to the mat with it. A big charger does not like a sudden rush of fuel, it will choke it and will not get goin. Mess with your smarty settings so that it doesnt dump as much fuel down low and it will spool better.

Any of the 66s won't spool like a 62. But they are fine on the street if you give them a chance to light by bringing the boost up a bit before tramping down. My new 66/71/13 seems to hold the boost a bit higher than some so it comes on a bit sooner. I'm really starting to like this turbo but my tires don't.

Ya I have learned that once you build 10 lbs of boost you better hold on because it wants to scream after that.

Well she likes to hit 60 psi QUICK on the highway... Backed out the boost elbow since I like my Head gasket:bang