Bet you can't figure this out. I can't.

trucken

2004 RAM 2500. yesterday stumbled, RPMs lowered to 500 then stalled. Towed home.

Checked fuel; OK
Checked FASS150: 14+ PSI
Changed rail psi sensor, and blocked off rail psi relief valve.

Nothing runs..

Disconnected 1 of the inj pumps it ran but rough, fuel rattle. Swapped using other PPE CP3 pump, ran rough too. Plugged in both, it stalled.

Rail pressure is now showing 25,000 psi while idling very rough w/ 1 CP3 pump online.. Not Right historically was about 5,000

While wrenching off/on rail relief valve my arm was laying on brake M/C, I felt the slight buzz of voltage tickling my arm. hmmmm

Checked codes: 0088(probably from disconnecting rail pressure sensor while running) & 0193

Its just a Grocery-Getter now that its retired from 11 sec street racing. Compound turbos, Dual CP3, Banks intercooler & Horn, Big injectors, ATS stage 5 trans, rail gauge, Lift gauge, 2 Stage Nitrous, Propane Inj (for around town driving)., MaxBoost nearly 100 psi.(racing tune) Smarty Progrmr.

Last edited:
Rail Pressure Sensor or Wiring to it. Repair harness from Cummins is a part number 3164102.

This would be where I would look if you are being tickled in the arm.

I changed the rail pressure sensor out with 2 others. No Good.
But possibly cp3 controller, or ground in CP3 wiring. It looks like spaghetti up in here. Probably should sort that out anyhow.

Thanks for the input guys.

I just got confirmation the Dual CP3 controller is Fine! So I can check that off...What else?? Weird to me, it with 1 CP3 (either) pump pegs my rail gauge at 26,000 psi. Maybe once it senses lack of second pump online, it opens a circuit inside pump causing it to go wide open. I'm getting a fuel sounding rattle during this. I thought rattle was from low fuel psi... Puzzled...

Are you running the pump off the dual controller still? I read you thought maybe it was only seeing 1 pump and that's why it was acting funny. Also I live 30-40 minutes south of you if you ever need a hand

I just got confirmation the Dual CP3 controller is Fine! So I can check that off...What else?? Weird to me, it with 1 CP3 (either) pump pegs my rail gauge at 26,000 psi. Maybe once it senses lack of second pump online, it opens a circuit inside pump causing it to go wide open. I'm getting a fuel sounding rattle during this. I thought rattle was from low fuel psi... Puzzled...

The rattle is normal. I would start with completely taking the top pump out of the equation. Run the stock belt with the factory harness plugged in the bottom pump and see what happens. If its still pegged then you can look into bad pump(unlikely), fca, fca connector/wiring, rps, rps connector/wiring, computer(very unlikely). However if operation is normal you now know its the top pump seeing that you just had your controller tested.

Definitely FCA/ circuit related if its going to WOT pressure at idle. i am glad i never went to dual pumps with all the problems i read. 800+ RWHP can be made on a single easily and way more reliable.

either way, can you find a scan tool and single out that FCA then watch FCA voltage?
injector rattle is normal when you are maxing out RP at idle (your not using the pressure)

i still dont understand the dropped RPM's...

have you checked you APPS (voltage at idle) could be commanding fuel at idle but ive never seen that in person.

I can figure it out, I had a very similar issue.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124681

What do I win if the pigtail fixes your issue?

It should also be noted that you will not see an issue with the wires, the issues is internal with the wires breaking down inside the coating.

In his other thread that's what I said. You had the exact same problem I did. Just so happens that pigtail was my culprit as well. Man was that I nightmare that had me pulling my hair out.