Big Stick centerline ?

akadiesel

Diesel by birth
Checked Big Stick intake centerline today and come up with 94.25 using Hamiltons method at .010 each side of max lift. Get 95 centerline measuring at .050 lift at both ends. Research says advancing 4 degrees lowers power curve 200 rpm. Intake begins to open at 20 BTDC and is .045 at TDC. Piston to valve clearance at TDC is .060. Closed to .045 at 10 ABDC. All checked with indicator on spring retainer. Checked by eye only so far, exhaust begins to open 50 BBDC and closed at 5 BTDC.
Motor is for F800 4x4. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165955
286210 pistons
+.020 head gasket
370 PDR marine inj
ported head
Super Tim 911 P pump @ 20 timing
PDR HX35/HT3B twins

Opinions appreciated.

I'm hoping for some opinions on power and economy losses or gains at both ends being this much off recommended centerline. Not being in your average DD, but in a heavy truck with monster tires and 6.88 gears, could it be a plus? But when on hi way at 55-60 mph, will mpg really suffer? My cell won't call Canada and don't feel right calling other manufacturers.

I doubt you will notice any difference unless you remove your turbo and run it naturally aspirated

I doubt you will notice any difference unless you remove your turbo and run it naturally aspirated

Well, I thought I'd report that it did apparently, make quite a noticeable difference!
Engine started and idled fine, but smoked ungodly, missed and backfired trying to give her fuel. Shut it down and after checking fuel supply, ofv, timing, injectors, etc, and making a few minor adjustments, same thing, but not as bad. Coaxed it up over 2000rpm and, holy crap, she came alive! This thing has lots of power up top! Went back and checked cam again a little closer. Use valve drop method for tdc with indicator on spring and getting equal valve deflection both sides in clockwise rotation, eliminating backlash, I tweak tdc a half degree. I modified a 24 valve pushrod to precisely center indicator at a near perfect straight angle and take readings at almost every .010 of cam lift on both valves lobes and record in crank degrees. As the cam industry decided decades ago, centerline is midway between .050 lift at cam, where changes in lift/degree is the least, that is what I used. All the cam calculators I've found, and leading cam sites and engine builders agree. In the end, I have a 182/210 with lsa 107, not advertised 106. Older cam so exhaust advanced more than realized with just intake numbers. My bad. Who really knows how anybody saying whatever icl is best came up with that number? After lots of research and looking at valve event timing, I totally agree with one well known member on here that 98 icl would do well, especially at 106 lsa. That is what Colt now calls for at 106 lsa, but Geoff couldn't say how those that recommended that icl took their measurements. Waiting on key to retard cam 3.6 degrees to 98.6 and bring exhaust more in line. Compared to what I could find on Ham 181/219/lsa 107 at 98 icl valve events, intake events will be real close, with ex opening about 4 degrees later and closing 4 earlier. Should be able to adjust that a little with valve lash if needed. That should take care of backfiring and improve boost. We shall see! Sure, I should have set it at 98, 99, or so to start with, but now I do have a better understanding of valve event timing, and knowing that is the most critical factor, should be able to set next cam more spot on.

for 8 years i sold a fixture kit i developed for degreeing cams on honda/acura race engines. ive been around the bush on this subject. there is no right/wrong place to set a camshaft as long as it doesnt collide parts. cam angle changes will produce different power curve results. there is no wrong power curve. theres one suited better to one competition than the other. if your racing for economy, for dyno numbers, for autocross, salt flat or 1/4 mile.. each is gonna work best with a certain curve and the only way to know whats best, is test and tune. you get to decide which LSA or intake close is best. youre only wrong when one part wacks another.

in general, retarding intake close will always push torque peak up the rpm band. intake close has the most pronounced effect of any event by far. after that youll notice the most by changing exhaust open. advanced exhaust open spits out higher cylinder pressure because the chamber volume is smaller when the piston is closer to TDC. now on a diesel with direct injection thats hard to say without testing your individual setup.. a gas engine can only get as much fuel as it gets past the intake valve because injection is in the intake, not the chamber.