Billet CR block coming soon.. final thoughts/opinions

Well, seams this thread got a lil off topic.
I will gather some more info and possible options, and after i meet with LSM and talk to a few more guys maybe we can start a fresh thread. It seams i have several guys trying to talk me into staying with a traditional block, if im spending over 10k on anything new it will most likely be alum.

Sounds like a plan and please do. Don't be discouraged from the tensions/disputes that are created on here sometimes. Threads like the one you started here is what compd is all about.

Folks seem to say go try another route with another shop. So a shop has some particular ideas, and after you give them $10K they hand you something they think will work, and if it doesn't do they give you the $10K back? Then you may be forking over the original amount and just used the $10K for the shop to learn something on your dime?

The trick is to find that shop that will work with you after forking over that kind of money. I have never put out that kind of money, but in smaller amounts I don't mind giving someone some cash to do something they are trying for the first time. Its all about trust and return on your investment. Sometimes the first-timers are the most motivated to get it right!!!

Swamps has one of those newfangled Centroid mills, but they do mostly PS stuff. Might be worth a shot. Keating does have a 5-axis, and has hired some new help, maybe he'll try it out now. I know he told me that Atley's hit him up to do a billet block way back when but he didn't have the time, and I don't think any of his machines were large enough to stand a block on end to machine. That's the killer.
PS, if anyone wants to buy a large 5 axis to play with, I'll volunteer to run it on weekends

I would think with an aluminum block you would be bore limited because you still have to run sleeves. So the only gain over a decked and sleeved stock block is alittle weight flsavings for a whole lot of money.

I would think with an aluminum block you would be bore limited because you still have to run sleeves. So the only gain over a decked and sleeved stock block is alittle weight flsavings for a whole lot of money.

I agree. But I'm no drag racer and I'm betting weight wa u savings is worth a lot of money.

Cummins block doesnt weigh that much. Since he said truck im assuming its not a tube chassis drag vehicle. So whats the point of weight savings in a 45-6000lb truck. You could prolly save more weight from chromoly tubing vs mild steel tubing among other things on the chassis and engine than weight savings from an aluminum block. If there is some other gain from this billet aluminum block it would be interesting to hear the explanation.

Wouldn't you want to run a type of sleeve no matter what? I feel like you would never build
A block for 15k and not have it be serviceable.

You can change the bore spacing and have any sleeve you want made

The sky is definitely the limit. One of the cars I play with has a 4.75" bore space billet block...640 cu/in. It's amazing to see what can be done with a CNC and a chunk of aluminum.

You can change the bore spacing and have any sleeve you want made

Which is legal in drag racing i believe but illegal in sled pulling but im sure ppl would let the rules slide and allow an illegal bore spacing block. Getting a billet block seems diffcult in the first place. Now add a custom crank, head, cam on top of that.

So you buy a completely one-off crank too? How much can bore spacing change with a cummins crank?

I'm just saying. If your into a block for $13-15000 what's another $5000 for a crank? As for head and cams I wouldn't be suprised if there aren't already some different stuff in the tractor world that wouldn't work.

I spy, around 1:00

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0JW5DuCeK8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0JW5DuCeK8[/ame]

Hmmmmmm, that's interesting, was that a subtle hint having it on the computer screen throughout the video?????

I see that there. Looks like he's already mapping one out or already has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see that there. Looks like he's already mapping one out or already has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That video was from the beginning of 2012, so I would hope he had it done by now. Good catch to whoever found and noticed that vid.

The sky is definitely the limit. One of the cars I play with has a 4.75" bore space billet block...640 cu/in. It's amazing to see what can be done with a CNC and a chunk of aluminum.

I have seen a video recently of a 1000 CI billet everything engine with a 5" bore spacing. Sonny's Racing Engines I believe.