Billet S475,478 or 480 for twins? But there's a catch..

99turbo2500

The catch is I want to keep it a VP truck and I need to be able to tow with it. I've been towing with the huge single I have but I'm towing a lot more often 8-12,000lbs. I'm past the drag racing stage finally but still want the truck to get up and go. The top turbo will be a 62/65/12 but I don't know if the billet 475 I have for it will "satisfy" me as far as power goes. The single I have now pulls like no other AFTER it lights up 2200-2300rpm. Any first hand suggestions?

I tried a 62/65/12 over a s480 87 1.10ar for a few days. Didn't like the mid range or top end.

The 62/71/14 was much better all around with the same primary.

I would suggest more exhaust housing at least.

Unless gated of course.

A vp won't even use a 475 to its full potential, anything bigger will just give up spool time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I should have prefaced that with so, if we're talking monster pumps then we're out if my experience. With everything turned up in my truck with an so, helix 2, 7x.014's and a super b/75-83 it's clean and I don't see over 1500°. I just don't see where a 480 or 85 is going to change anything.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say I'm "stuck" on the VP but I like the ability to change the fueling and timing at the push of a button. I know if I was to go P-pump the truck I would get carried away with wanting more and more power. The truck dyno's 620-650 now on kill and id love to keep it at that power level when I'm not towing. If the billet 475 will get me there and be the better spooling turbo than that's what I'll go with. I was just curious if there's better options out there for what I'm trying to do

I tried a 62/65/12 over a s480 87 1.10ar for a few days. Didn't like the mid range or top end.

The 62/71/14 was much better all around with the same primary.

I would suggest more exhaust housing at least.

Unless gated of course.

I was just suggested to run that exact turbo (480 with the 1.10 housing). Why didn't you like it and how was spool up? I'm almost to the point that I say hell with it and throw the billet 11 wheel S475 I have on it and hope for the best.

I was just suggested to run that exact turbo (480 with the 1.10 housing). Why didn't you like it and how was spool up? I'm almost to the point that I say hell with it and throw the billet 11 wheel S475 I have on it and hope for the best.

Spool up was faster with the 65 wheel but the top end and upper mid range with the 71 was by far better. I felt like the internal gate couldn't compensate for the small housing and wheel.

Overall boost went down 10 psi along with power. It wouldn't drive the primary hard enough. A drive pressure gauge probably would confirm this but I don't have one.

Was that on a vp or common rail? I was kinda liking the idea of the 65/12 because I figured it would spool pretty quick but I also figured the wastegate would be able to keep up as they said it has a much larger wastegate for that purpose. I guess I'll see

CR

The following errors occurred with your submission:
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 3 characters.