Bio-Diesel

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Anybody know what Ford's stance is on Bio in the 6.0? In my owners pamplet it says no more than B-5, and another source said they had up'd it to B-20.

I am thinking about getting some to try but don't need any headaches if I have a warranty issue.

TIA

John

The last I saw was 5%. If that is what the manual says, and you are concerned with your warranty, I would stick with what the manual says. Ford seems to be a little touchy with their warranty these days.

I wouldn't mind running some bio diesel. However, It costs the same as regular diesel here, so My thought is why bother? take the chance of fouling my filters faster and not save money?

It is not competitive yet. It will be though. I think once they roll out Ethenol 85 nationwide... Diesel will follow suit.

I wouldn't mind running some bio diesel. However, It costs the same as regular diesel here, so My thought is why bother? take the chance of fouling my filters faster and not save money?

Its the same if you buy commerically, however if you invest and make the stuff yourself then thats when the real savings come into play. Ford will only warranty B5. The new 6.7's will warranty B20, but you had better be buying it commerically or atleast have ASTM certs to prove your homemade fuel is up to par. I can procuded equal if not better fuel than what commerical producers make.

only used bio fuel a few times and i ran B100 and had no problems.

bio fuel is junk, gels quicker, eats up fuel lines, injectors, pumps, and fuel filters,

bio fuel is junk, gels quicker, eats up fuel lines, injectors, pumps, and fuel filters,

I assume you know this cause you have done extensive reaeach and had multiple fleets running various blends, trended all the data and had NDE/DE results to back up your statements.

I assume you know this cause you have done extensive reaeach and had multiple fleets running various blends, trended all the data and had NDE/DE results to back up your statements.

:hehe:

I have run B20 because thats all that was available at the pumps in Northern Florida. I had no problems but did notice a 1 mpg drop.

Well Biodiesel has less energy content than normal pump diesel. At the B20 level thats normally not enough to warrant any change in MPG over pump, but it is possible. Our standard deviation for B20 usage was somewhere around .06 MPG or about 2%.

i have been working on semis for ten years, when i first started hardly ever had a road call for gell ups, now within the last few years since bio fuel has been used more i get road calls for gell ups when its 20 to 30 outside, my buddy works at a bio plant and told me that stuff would start to wax at 40, i had to replace fuel lines many of times on semis because of the bio fuel eating them up, if it was so good why would the dealer care what percent of bio you use for war. reasons ? it also causes allergy to grow in you tank

Bio has been known to eat the lamination off of the steel tanks in the aft mount setups, but that was on the trucks running higher percentage bio.

i have been working on semis for ten years, when i first started hardly ever had a road call for gell ups, now within the last few years since bio fuel has been used more i get road calls for gell ups when its 20 to 30 outside, my buddy works at a bio plant and told me that stuff would start to wax at 40, i had to replace fuel lines many of times on semis because of the bio fuel eating them up, if it was so good why would the dealer care what percent of bio you use for war. reasons ? it also causes allergy to grow in you tank

You have a lot of research to do my friend. I'm not disagreeing with what you have seen first hand, but you need to understand that there is a lot of ways to use Bio WRONG. It happens way too often, and then the fuel is the first to be blamed because its easy. Hardly ever will a guy admit to doing something wrong, especially when it wrecks his most prized posession (his truck).

Bio and WVO can eat certain rubbers, so if it's a very old truck, yes it may damage fuel lines. Most newer trucks (6.0's included) shouldn't have this issue.

100% bio should not be run right away after a switch from #2, as already said it can be VERY cleansing and will clean all the varnish off of your tank inside and other parts it encounters. This is why it is recommended to start in small doses and work your way up to 100%. It is also recommended you change fuel filters very often when first introducing bio to your truck.

Yes it can and will gel easier, just the name of the game. You can avoid this by running a heated, two-tank setup like the vegistroke. Or just dont use it during the colder months, or dilute it, but this all depends where you live. Up where I live here in upstate NY, using bio during the winter is generally not a good idea unless the heated tank approach is used. A lot of times, waxing will depend on the quality of the bio being produced too.

WVO in itself has less energy density than #2 as already stated, but on the other hand it is also very lubricative. This is a pretty fair trade off and can also negate the negative effect of less energy. The quality of the WVO (your base oil in which the bio is produced from) will also play a HUGE role in how the end product works. When not filtered properly, the suspended fats and water molecules in the WVO can eat and destroy everything in your fuel system over a period of time.

As of right now, in most places, buying bio at the pump really wont save any money, but it can be beneficial for your trucks life and the environment (like most of the guys bellowing black smoke even care... haha). However if you do the research, test it, validate it, and manufacture this stuff on your own, it can be very rewarding and cost saving.

I will just stick with running no 2 it is only 20 cents a gallon more, I understand i could save alot of money maken my own, but isnt that kinda time consuming?

I will just stick with running no 2 it is only 20 cents a gallon more, I understand i could save alot of money maken my own, but isnt that kinda time consuming?

Yeah it is, even if you have a rather "top shelf" setup. You figure collecting time and then preprocessing and what not you have a few hours of up front machine time and then for the actually processing you can be there up to 24 hrs if your new. My total time is about 4 hours of upfront machine time, but I have a automated unit.

To answer the question from the OP, Ford will only maintain the warranty on the 05 6.0 if you used B5 or lower. However, the new 6.7L is warrantied for up to B20.

And props to mdub for the accurate info. :Cheer:

--Snake

I dont care how time consuming it is, I will not be one of the suckers paying $5 a gallon or more for Diesel again... I will be running a WVO setup though, not bio.

WVO two tank setups are less time consuming as you dont have to actually "make" the fuel, just filter the oil you get, and for the most part the filter setups can be built to be self sufficient and use little of my time. Bio on the other hand you're making the fuel for the truck, and it can be more time consuming, yes.

Snake - :Cheer:

I dont care how time consuming it is, I will not be one of the suckers paying $5 a gallon or more for Diesel again... I will be running a WVO setup though, not bio.

WVO two tank setups are less time consuming as you dont have to actually "make" the fuel, just filter the oil you get, and for the most part the filter setups can be built to be self sufficient and use little of my time. Bio on the other hand you're making the fuel for the truck, and it can be more time consuming, yes.

Snake - :Cheer:

Yeah i mean WVO is pretty good but I have my own opinions/facts as to why I don't use it, however to each his own.