block question

jr22

oilfield equipped
I understand 53 blocks are junk and mexican blocks and some of the strongest where does a 55 block fall and if i remember right there was a brazil block too?? thanks, jr

Argueably the "International" coded blocks are the strongest castings......

the 53 that has problems was cast in mexico the storm block is the updated block for the 53 blocks and the newer 2nd gen trucks either block could be cast in brazil or mexico and be a good block they just had casting probs with the 53 blocks in mexico they were 5mm thick between cyl 3 and 4 i believe and the new block is 11 mm thick in that one spot that was the update

strokersmoker said:
Where Is It Stamped, Thanks

The stamp in the block is just below the pump on the driver side. It's a rather large stamp(overcasting). You won't have to squint but you may need a light.

PDW Power said:
The stamp in the block is just below the pump on the driver side. It's a rather large stamp(overcasting). You won't have to squint but you may need a light.

It can also be found on the passengers side just above the oil pan, below the oil filter.

I recieved this from a website i had emailed about the block

They are much better to have than a 53 block. The casting walls are thicker. The 55 might be the thickest of all of them, but I don't remember at this moment. If you have a 55 you can stop worrying abour your block.

how could i tell if i got the better 53 block. i would like to know so i can check

sweet99 said:
how could i tell if i got the better 53 block. i would like to know so i can check

The 53 block is not the good block.

sweet99 said:
Apparently you didn't read the post above
I've also heard that the best blocks were the ones cast by International. Don't know how thick they are but I have heard they are strong

Diesel Freak said:
55 blocks can fail too...IN THE EXACT SPOT THE 53 blocks do!!!

My 55 block cracked!!
thats not what i really wanted to hear, jr

From my understanding the "International" coded casted blocks get their additional strength from a higher nickle content....... The code is often discovered under the area where the front gear case covers on the front of the block.....$.02

I am very skeptical about the navistar blocks being better as far as the metallurgy.

The international "code" is the current logo for the company. Its located on the front under the timing cover. It is also on International cast heads. On the head it is case on the intake just in front of the rear lift point.