blowing Fusable link, Cant get truck started

tatkins85

blowing Fusible link, Cant get truck started

My truck got started yesterday and a puff of smoke came from the steering column, instantly turned the truck off. Now the truck wont start at all.
Truck has power to door locks, cargo light, power windows when the key is turned to a run position, all surrounding lights, hazards, ac blower, blinkers, and the light on top of the ignition switch is on.
The truck does NOT have power to any of the gauges, stereo, turn key buzzing noise, all of the dash lights, and truck wont run.
I ran a wire to the FSS and jumped the starter to get it running so i could get it home. I attempted to replace the ignition switch but autozone gave me the wrong one, so i went back and had to look at the screen with the guy and the only one that looked similar was from a 1994. so i got that one and installed it but still got nothing. I checked all wires under the dash, everything looks good, checked all the fuses, and they were all good except for the int cab lights was blown "so i replaced it". checked for loose wires, reinstalled the ignition switch like 10 times. found blown fusible link so i replaced it with a 40 a fuse. truck worked for about 5 seconds then fuse blew again

right before this happened i lost o/d, thats why i took it to the trans shop could there be a related issue?

i have checked everything i touched over the last 2 months for loose connections, took out almost every fuse in the fuse box disconnected the heater grid and fuel pump, completely uninstalled the stereo "the guy who installed it before me had wires everywhere", taped up every loose or unconnected end. turned key on and still blowing that fuse link "that i have replaced with a 40a fuse for easy repair".

The trans guy did re wire the entire tranny. but i have driven the truck over 250 miles sense then, and am just now having this problem.

the trans guy said he had smoke out of the steering column. so i dont know for sure if there was or not. i have seen smoke come from the engine department above the fusible links but not inside the cab yet "like he stated"

Last edited:
Get on 1stGen.org and ask. More knowledgeable 1st Gen gurus there than on here.