blown d-max

04dirtymax

just blew a head gasket in my 04 lly, is this something im guna need to take to the shop or can a average joe do this in the garage?

are you positive its the head gasket, i just checked on alldatapro one side 23hrs. both sides 32hrs. thats alot of work.

What at the Symptoms? I thought I blew a HG but it turned out to be a Water Pump.

i looks to be leaking "time i put water in it" just below the valve cover by the manifold

With the truck at operating temp. Grab the upper radiator hose. If its rock solid you blew a gasket.

the upper hose wasn't hard but i can see the water coming from where the head meets the block

It's a time consuming job,we usually pull the motor to do the head gaskets.

Definetly easier to pull the motor. Depending on skill level and tools available,should take any where from 15-40hrs.

Man I wish you were in the ky area I have a buddy thatbis really good. He just done a set of head gaskets both sides on a lly it took him 12 hours and only charged $900 labor

I have found it easier to pull the cab vs pulling the engine or doing it in the truck. 45 minnutes the cab is in the air.

I know a buddy of mine that also did his with engine in the truck took a couple of days because they only worked on it at night and made sure everything was clean before putting it back together. He blew a HG and the only way to tell was it was eating coolant pretty regularly. Once the VC were removed he found that the stock studs on the driver side towards the firewall were actually lose and that was most of the problem but the damage was done. So new HG's and arp studs went in roughly took about week working 4hrs each night and nows she's running like a champ. I also noticed that after the stud install his truck seemed to run quiter than it use to why is that?

fixed it tonight it was just the coolant line on the EGR, it must of busted from a combination of dry rot and pressure, sure glad it wasn't a head gasket! thanks for all the advice!