Blown head gasket or freeze plug

FlyingHighRacin

Ok so last night I was on my way home and I did a hard rolling run from about 35mph until the needle was buried. I wasnt far from home and I noticed my heater was blowing cold air. At that point I knew something was wrong. Drove it the .5 mile home and popped the hood and it was smoking badly towards the back of the head/block area. Checked my radiator this morning and no radiator fluid in the radiator. So do you guys think there is any chance I blew a head gasket or do you think I popped the freeze plug out of the back of the block? Any insight or input would be greatly appreciated.

Reach your hand back there and feel. If you blew the plug out it will be pretty easy to find the nearly 2" hole.

Well you have a choice! Pull the head OR Pull the tranny! Sorry but you play you pay! At least a weak point will be addressed! Every time I do a certain uphill onramp like 8% I wonder what I'm going to blow but man that feeling of hitting the freeway at 100+ is cool! Hope you get it fixed quick! If your married now is a good time to ask the wife for that upgraded part you've been wanting!! Act very depressed!

Check the freeze plugs in the head. Before you go to far. There is several on the exhaust side and one in the back.

Well you have a choice! Pull the head OR Pull the tranny! Sorry but you play you pay! At least a weak point will be addressed! Every time I do a certain uphill onramp like 8% I wonder what I'm going to blow but man that feeling of hitting the freeway at 100+ is cool! Hope you get it fixed quick! If your married now is a good time to ask the wife for that upgraded part you've been wanting!! Act very depressed!

Yeah I know you pay to play. There really isnt anything else Im looking to add to the truck other than a set of street twins. Already runnin a built motor, tranny, dual fuelers, all that good stuff. It was my fault that I didnt just put billet freeze plugs in when I had the motor built last spring.

I blew the frost plug out of the back of my block last summer doing the same thing you were. Got a billet plate from B&B Tooling and installed that without removing the tranny or head.

Wait.....

What??

Why are we pulling transmissions?

Good advice has been given, rear freeze plug is in the back on the engine, on the block. Hard-ish to reach, and feels a long ways down with the head and valve cover still on. Lazy people like me would just stick a hose in the radiator and fill it till water started pouring out. If it fills up and no water is leaking, then you're on to the head gasket.

Typically an mls gasket will reseal, so you would have noticed a repeated popping noise several times to push all of the water out. It would also be pushed out of the overflow tank, so that area would be wet and the tank generally full.

Wait.....

What??

Just so easy to work on that back freeze plug!Less than an hour to drop a 2 wheel drive tranny! Good time to check tranny and rear oil seal, flex plate etc etc! Hi output motors need a good going over at least once a year! " In a perfect world"

did you check your oil? if it was the freze plugs in head it would mix and make a huge mess, if it was the freeze plug in the rear you could feel it with your hand.

Took BigNastys advice and just stuck the garden hose in the radiator and filled it. Water poured out of the back of the block. I then double checked by feeling and the rear freeze plug was missing.
Also I checked the oil and there was no mixture of oil and coolant.
Still gonna replace all freeze plugs on the block with billet ones and replace the plugs in the head with thread in style. Also gonna throw on a Fleece bypass kit. Should be good to go then:thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Wait.....

What??

Just so easy to work on that back freeze plug!Less than an hour to drop a 2 wheel drive tranny! Good time to check tranny and rear oil seal, flex plate etc etc! Hi output motors need a good going over at least once a year! " In a perfect world"

Tranny is good. Just had it completely rebuilt and refreshed and threw in a MPM output shaft. Already had his input and torque converter/flex plate. Tranny is golden.

Last edited:
when i poped my freeze plug on my block, i could see it missing when i looked under the hood, i also found the freeze plug on the motor mount. billet freeze plugs are a nice investment!

Not saying it isnt good insurance to do both, and I definitely want to, but with the bypass kit, you shouldnt need to do billet plugs correct?

Not saying it isnt good insurance to do both, and I definitely want to, but with the bypass kit, you shouldnt need to do billet plugs correct?

Right but I'm gonna do both just for insurance. I'm tired of always havin to fix the truck due to stupid sh!t. Really should have done it when I had my motor built last spring.