Blue smoke after warmup

manual_tranny

Cummins & TDI Enthusiast
Hi guys,

My brother just called and said his 2006 6.0 was making blue smoke- only after it warms up. Is there any chance that smoking after warm-up is more likely to be one thing than another?

The truck is stock, over 100K, I don't believe he drives it terribly hard.. (though he doesn't baby it, he tows things occasionally)

I've read it could be- turbo, rings, or valve-guides. Any other ideas? He says he may have gotten bad fuel...

I'm going to direct him to this thread, so if you have answers he can answer them directly...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I should add... anybody know a good Ford diesel mechanic near Gainesville, FL or Tampa, FL?

does the smoke have any particular smell. like oil, or fuel. could also be an injector that's scuffed. can't say that in general valve guides have been a problem, but doesn't that it can't be either.

Thanks very much for your recommendations! I didn't see them in time and my brother took it to the dealer... turned out to be a leaky injector seal and damaged injector.

I'll forward the information for the mechanic, he may need more help in the future..