boost at idle

jwp130

we couldnt go for three
so this is gonna sound wierd. (to me it did) i friend of mine told me that he tacked an x shape piece of steel in the exhaust right behind the turbo. he says this helped build boost at idle. (on a 7.3) he also claims this helped to build more on the top end. i call B.S. he was trying to convince me to do this to mine. (never going to) so has anyone heard of this? this doesnt sound like it would work very well. ive seen people put something in to stop pieces from flying out for competitions. he is talking about putting it as close to the turbine as possible. in the housing, not the downpipe. anyway. enlighten me, either he has turned a new level in hillbilly engineering or im not as smart as i think.

Yeah sure. Tell him you have to block off at least 50% of the opening though. The extra back pressure does wonders for throttle response and mileage.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

PLEASE tell me your smarter than that.. and hes a moron..

Yeah sure. Tell him you have to block off at least 50% of the opening though. The extra back pressure does wonders for throttle response and mileage.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Its called the venturi effect. Same principle as a carburator. I do believe this was experimented with by the same person that made superchargers for the inline Detroits exhaust valves back in the 30's:bang

That sounds pretty sick! Is this a good friend of yours? Does he have a 5 inch exhaust for better flow too?

Last edited:
yeah, i just shook my head when he told me this. but before i called him an idiot, i thought i would ask someone with more knowledge on turbo's then me.