Boost leak???

i6chick

It's all about leverage
I've had my truck chipped (twice) almost since I've had it but when my Drag Comp acted up the last time I've had it disconnected for quite some time.

Turbo noise is extra loud. Silencer MIA but this is a different loud. It's piercing & sounds like there's two tones to it almost like its coming from different places. I mean everyone that jumps in my truck assumes I have an aurora on it haha.

Plus, it smokes more than it ever did, stock. I realize I got it at 40k & it's got 83k on it now... but I have noticed a little difference. Not huge clouds but enough to make me wonder.

It lags. I feel like a turtle. Everybody says the reason I think it lags is because I'm used to a chip but its been stock for a while.

No gauges. They're in my living room. Need to paint the pillar first. I got Trans, Egts & Fuel Pressure so that wouldn't do me much good anyways.

I've checked all of my boots, clamps, no cracking... haven't checked the oil to the turbo yet..... any other ideas?

Drag Comp and no gauges :badidea:

Boots can pop loose and not come off. Soap and water in a spray bottle works good to find air leaks. You could also have a cracked intercooler.

Mmm... never crossed my mind about the intercooler. And yes... I almost lost my VP without gauges. Boost usually isn't that big of a deal anyone. I was always more worried bout fuel pressure. Checked all my boots.

Anything else guys?

Cummins trucks don't use "Chips" ;-) Only Fords do...

Check shaft play on the turbo, in and out and side to side... What kind of airbox do you have?

I've popped a intercooler boot twice on the bottom drivers side, but it made a loud pop when that happened. But I lost power and gained smoke when it happend.

Pressure test the system, really easy and the only real way to tell if you have one or not. Also look at the turbo really close.