borg warner VVT trubo

carcrafter22

So I was at the local scrap yard today getting some steel to make an engine stand for a spare motor I have when one of the employees came up to me that I kinda know. He was telling me about a motor I had seen there a few months ago and how the boss had decided to just toss it. The motor is a 9.3L international maxforce inline 6cylinder engine out of a big truck (in this case a military vehicle). The military vehicle with said engine had about .2 mile and maybe 15 minutes of run time when it fell over while being hauled down the highway on a trailer. I had been eyeballing the VVT turbo on it for a while now and today they let me have it since I was buying some other scrap along with a very nice crankcase breather setup (still new of course off the same motor).

here are some pics, I took a quick measurement with some junk calipers of the Extended Tip Technology wheel and it looks like its about 56mm but I need to get some better measurements. Oh the compressor wheel is carved out of Titanium! How cool is that? Anyway here are some pics, if anyone can ID this turbo from the part numbers on it I would greatly appreciate it.

Is the inducer 56mm or is that the larger outer diameter of the extended tips?

I've seen similar looking turbos listed on ebay as a Mack truck application.

Why cares, its got a TI wheel.

Lets do un-natural things too it. :evil:

I'm never lonely...see! LOL

Attachments

• m_bbc85757f4ef44118f004c9ff3f7956b.jpg
    m_bbc85757f4ef44118f004c9ff3f7956b.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 75
The 56mm I measured is at the outermost wheel. This turbo came off of a 9.3L international maxxforce I6 from a military vehicle, the motor was made in 2008 and has pretty much 0 miles on it. The shaft has a little bit of play in it for some reason but I am thinking it may be from lack of oil in it but I could be wrong. I am taking it to a turbo shop monday to see what they say. I wish I could find a compressor map for this thing.

Is there any special way to measure an ETT wheel? Shouldnt I just measure the outerwheel as the inducer and the widest wheel at the bottom as the exducer?

Is there any special way to measure an ETT wheel? Shouldnt I just measure the outerwheel as the inducer and the widest wheel at the bottom as the exducer?

Borg breaks it down as OD/Tip/Extended...OD is the back wall outside diameter,Tip is the inducer,Extended is the distance the tip extends out past the back wall...measurements for a 56mm wheel should look like this...OD3.200/Tip2.240/Extended.224

how do you know for sure that the compressor wheel is titanium, and just not a billet aluminum wheel? i know most of the holset wheels that are not cast are just billet aluminum. just curious...

wes

you couldn't tell by the color of the metal ?>

LOL

:woohoo:
and they thought i was the pothead......
:cheer:

who the F are you to call me a pot head first of all, and what do you know about turbochargers? i asked a simple question about the frickin compressor wheel!! yes it looks like a titanium wheel, and everyone thinks that the holset/ borg warner VGT compressor wheels are titainum, but most of them are not!, only specific applications have a titanium wheel, and those are ISL 8.9l bus applications for the holset chargers for example. i just wanted to know how he knew for sure that it was, and wasn't misleading eveyone else on this site saying that the wheel was titanium. if i were you i would read what you typed before you post chit, this wouldn't be the first time you have pissed someone off on this forum becuase of what you typed. OFF RANT!!

I say its titanium because borg warner ( you know the maker of the turbo)says that its titanium, not just a guess or a hope but actuall info from the manufacturer.

Does anyone have access to compressor maps for the part numbers in the pics? I would love to see one if you can post it up.

Back