BOV on 6.0

Frans96ss

does anyone do a blow off valve on these trucks? i never hear of anyone doing one? any reasons? pros, cons......

i think you guess are refuring to a wastegate, he's talking about a blow off valve, two totally different things...but for some reason people always get the two totaly mixed up.
wastegate controls boost on a conventional turbo on the exhaust side by limiting the amount of exhaust gas that gos into the turbine.
a blow off valve is a valve that is usually mounted on the your intercooler piping between the cold side of the turbo to the intake or throttle body. the blow off valve avtivates and opens when the throttle plate closes(gasser) wich vents the compressed air to atmosphere keeping the turbo spooled as much as possible and keeping the turbo from farting and puting too much stress on the shaft. diesels usually dont use them cause they have no throttle plate and there for have no way to activate the BOV. a bov needs a vacuum line that sees both pressure(boost) and vacuum. the pressure keeps the bov closed under boost and then vacuum to release the bov.
now i did read somewere in hear that some guy in a duramax rigged one up of his, useing some kinda selinoid hooked up to a vacuum line to create vacuum when he let off the throttle, he did electronicly somehow, i dont remember. but hope this helps! i know that i would like to do this, just so our turbos wouldnt fart so much when you let off the gogo pedal so fast...plus it would be pretty sweet in my book!

I was talking about a B.O.V. I had one in every turbo car I had. The point of a B.O.V. is to expell the boost between shifts, that way when you get back on the throttle, you're building boost nice and a little harder than the boost not dropping at all. It does not by any means keep the turbo spooled as much as it can. If that were the case the turbo would not want to stop at all.

wont work between shifts as the shifts are to quick but you can make it work when you let off the gas.. i did this on a dodge and am currently doing to on a 04 dmax

bartc_2 said:
wont work between shifts as the shifts are to quick but you can make it work when you let off the gas.. i did this on a dodge and am currently doing to on a 04 dmax

Any pointers??

i too have been thinking about that a lot lately. i'd love to hear the blow off from my truck at 30psi. :rockwoot:

Garrett