Bracket Racing

bp1x71

I was curious about some diesel truck bracket racing. Is there many around KY? I have been pulling my truck and am trying to decide to get a good goerend auto and do some bracket racing or sink some more into the motor tryin to compete in workstock with a 12 valve is tough!! I bracket race a chevelle almost every weekend 2 years in a row modified et champ. avg et 6.4-6.5 at 102mph 1/8th. 10.4 1/4 119mph 1.40 60ft. thanks for any input guys. my truck is a 97 ext cab long bed.

I am from Mt sterling I race mostly at mt park some at owingsville bluegrass raceway

Heck, don't wait for the diesel races, just run it at the regular races you've been racing your Chevelle at!

what does it pay to win or r up there? also curious if anyone has found out what kinda truck is more consistent a mechanically controlled engine or electronics. whats the average e.t.s for those who usually win the bracket races and there reaction times? i raced my cousins 06 dmax couple weekends in 1/4 mile trophy class and ended up winning. runs low 14s mt r.t.s were around .030s all night

If your doing it for pay better find another sport. Brackets in my area (diesel only) vary from 11.50s to 16 sec. I had to run brackets this year because of no cage but like said above just race it with the cars at your normal bracket races if there few and far between diesel events for you.

If you want to run consistent and win, run a stock truck. The stock vehicles usually end up doing the best in the bracket races I've seen. Just my .02 for a bracket race only truck.

If I do the automatic swap into my truck i will run the 1/4 mile (super street) class its a no electronic class. and i will still run my car 1/8 mile with transbrake. i think that it would be alot of fun. there talking about changine the super street class to where it is street tires or dot approved tires only so that would knock out alot of the 9-13 second rides out. another question. what kinda shifters have they got or the 4 speed auto? seems like i have seen some kind of ratchet shifter where you can slap it an only shift once which i think would help cosistency to shift at 2500 everytime. maybe a little *nx* for catchup and dump!

If you want to run consistent and win, run a stock truck. The stock vehicles usually end up doing the best in the bracket races I've seen. Just my .02 for a bracket race only truck.
I agree to a point. Personally I think the most important thing is a truck that you can launch at a "comfortable" spot on the tree from a dead-shallow stage, and adjust your reaction time with launch rpm or boost. For a diesel this will usually require it to be a 4x4 or have slicks and suspension mods. While I've done a lot of racing in my 2WD dually, I have to deep stage it which adds another layer of difficulty. I've done reasonably well in rental 4x4s that can be launched harder. Of the "killer" diesel bracket racers I have seen, all of them have modified trucks, but could probably do just as well in a stock one.

If I do the automatic swap into my truck i will run the 1/4 mile (super street) class its a no electronic class. and i will still run my car 1/8 mile with transbrake. i think that it would be alot of fun. there talking about changine the super street class to where it is street tires or dot approved tires only so that would knock out alot of the 9-13 second rides out. another question. what kinda shifters have they got or the 4 speed auto? seems like i have seen some kind of ratchet shifter where you can slap it an only shift once which i think would help cosistency to shift at 2500 everytime. maybe a little *nx* for catchup and dump!

For a shifter I have seen this one used:
Pro Ratchet

I agree to a point. Personally I think the most important thing is a truck that you can launch at a "comfortable" spot on the tree from a dead-shallow stage, and adjust your reaction time with launch rpm or boost. For a diesel this will usually require it to be a 4x4 or have slicks and suspension mods. While I've done a lot of racing in my 2WD dually, I have to deep stage it which adds another layer of difficulty. I've done reasonably well in rental 4x4s that can be launched harder. Of the "killer" diesel bracket racers I have seen, all of them have modified trucks, but could probably do just as well in a stock one.

Pro Ratchet

Yeah, you wear the chit out of them rentals in bracket racing LOL "Ladies and gentlemen, Michael Pliska has clicked off his 11th pass in a row, at 66 MPH" That was priceless :bow:

Last edited:
I know that in racing cars the most important is the consistency of the 60ft the rest is reading air and barometric pressure along with track temp as wel

Pro Ratchet

Got a suggestion for one with 2 on/off buttons as well? I love this lokar, but for a manual VB, I don't think it was the right idea. For normal VB, it's absolutely perfect

Got a suggestion for one with 2 on/off buttons as well? I love this lokar, but for a manual VB, I don't think it was the right idea. For normal VB, it's absolutely perfect

By buttons are you just looking for electric pushbuttons on the shifter?

BTW - IIRC the one in DirtyMax back when it had an Allison was something like this:
ATI - Automatic Transmission Shifters Accessories

It worked reasonably well, but the gate plate didn't line up well for the linkage positions on the Allison, and it took a few tries to make a custom plate that worked.

I know that in racing cars the most important is the consistency of the 60ft the rest is reading air and barometric pressure along with track temp as wel

You'll find that turbo diesel pickups are affected less by the atmospheric conditions than most gassers, but headwinds can play havoc with ETs!

By buttons are you just looking for electric pushbuttons on the shifter?

BTW - IIRC the one in DirtyMax back when it had an Allison was something like this:
ATI - Automatic Transmission Shifters Accessories

It worked reasonably well, but the gate plate didn't line up well for the linkage positions on the Allison, and it took a few tries to make a custom plate that worked.

lockup and OD. So on/off buttons... Heck, if you can make it so hitting "4th" was just hitting a momentary button, that would be bad ass.

lockup and OD. So on/off buttons... Heck, if you can make it so hitting "4th" was just hitting a momentary button, that would be bad ass.

Setup a couple of pressure switches off of govenor pressure. One for lockup and one for OD. I only have one for lockup (locks at 10mph at the track). It is on an "arming" switch, so that it locks normal when not at the track. You may want to lock it a higher speed... I don't have a switch for OD. The truck shifts into OD at the right time anyway.

Paul