Bracket Racing

I agree to a point. Personally I think the most important thing is a truck that you can launch at a "comfortable" spot on the tree from a dead-shallow stage, and adjust your reaction time with launch rpm or boost.

I agree with this. Setting up a truck so that it reacts quickly and repeatably off the line is key. Your staging and launching procedure has to be easy for you to do, and one you can repeat in your sleep.

The first 60' is important but the first 7 inches (about) is even more so.

Our trucks can be deadly consistent. Go with their strengths (consistency), and work on their weaknesses (reacting off the line).

Paul

Setup a couple of pressure switches off of govenor pressure. One for lockup and one for OD. I only have one for lockup (locks at 10mph at the track). It is on an "arming" switch, so that it locks normal when not at the track. You may want to lock it a higher speed... I don't have a switch for OD. The truck shifts into OD at the right time anyway.

Paul

You're getting lockup in 1st then? Governor pressure is the TV/line pressure you're speaking about correct? You have a truck with an auto originally...I have no ECU control over OD unless I get a standalone unit.

You're getting lockup in 1st then? Governor pressure is the TV/line pressure you're speaking about correct? You have a truck with an auto originally...I have no ECU control over OD unless I get a standalone unit.

The governor pressure port is on the right rear of the transmission case. Governor pressure is roughly 1 psi per mph. Make sure you use a high enough rated pressure switch. Ultimate Transmission set mine up. You could probably get a pressure switch from them.

Yes, I lock it up in 1st. Check with your transmission builder before doing that however. Wait... you have a 47rh? Unless the valve body has been modified to allow it, it won't lockup in first. You can still use the pressure switch, you would just need to make sure it's set high enough to shift to second before locking up.

Back to the SSR... Have you played with the shift defuel? It would be interesting to see if the manual ECU has the defuel function.

Paul

The governor pressure port is on the right rear of the transmission case. Governor pressure is roughly 1 psi per mph. Make sure you use a high enough rated pressure switch. Ultimate Transmission set mine up. You could probably get a pressure switch from them.

Yes, I lock it up in 1st. Check with your transmission builder before doing that however. Wait... you have a 47rh? Unless the valve body has been modified to allow it, it won't lockup in first. You can still use the pressure switch, you would just need to make sure it's set high enough to shift to second before locking up.

Back to the SSR... Have you played with the shift defuel? It would be interesting to see if the manual ECU has the defuel function.

Paul

It's an 47Re with manual VB. lock up in 2nd, unlocks if you hit first. I can hit the lock switch in 1st and once it hits second it'll lock. that sounds find to me for now. I'm that'll account for a tenth or two vs your setup.

As far as the pressure. that's not a bad idea to use for OD I'll think about it. Thanks for the idea.

I've left **** de-fuel off even with the manual. pointless option anyways since it would never know when I'd shift.

It's an 47Re with manual VB. lock up in 2nd, unlocks if you hit first. I can hit the lock switch in 1st and once it hits second it'll lock. that sounds find to me for now. I'm that'll account for a tenth or two vs your setup.

As far as the pressure. that's not a bad idea to use for OD I'll think about it. Thanks for the idea.

I've left **** de-fuel off even with the manual. pointless option anyways since it would never know when I'd shift.

That's the way we setup my 02. Throw the lockup switch before you stage, and when it shifts into 2nd it locks up. Kinda hard on things, but it's very consistent.

Depending on the year, the ECU does know the gear. It only controls 3-4 and lockup. For example if I leave shift defuel = stock, I can't build more then about 22psi of boost until it shifts into second. Driving on the street, the shift defuel = stock is very noticable on all the shifts. I was just wondering if yours with the manual valve body, and manual ECU would do the same thing.

Paul

how consistent are your alls trucks?

When it's not consistent, it is at least predictable. One race this summer, I ran 6 rounds of eliminations, and ran on my dial all 6 rounds. That is unusual in that I'm usually on the brakes, at least one round because I'm so far ahead at the finish line.

Paul

As long as I don't screw up and stage too deep, my truck tends to run within about 0.015 to 0.020 as long as wind stays consistent. One thing that I have noticed is that I have to raise my launch RPM in worse air to get the same launch. I'm launching at virtually zero boost due to traction. With the higher RPM launch (closer to building boost), I can usually run within 0.10 of my sea level ETs all the way up to 8000' of density altitude.

I agree on consistent launch, I bracket race at my local track and my truck will run 10.5 all day if I launch at 20lbs every time. But it is getting real hard to do, a 15lb launch will be around 10.66 and 25lb with traction I have seen low 10.4's. So racing cars that are within .01 and.02, I have to make sure to launch at same boost everytime. (I like the right lane so I can look at boost and the tree at same time. I think a light on a 20lb switch would be a good idea.)

Last edited:
some good info there guys !! im sure this has been asked several times but atleast you guys arent like some on other posts give smart a replies. my truck is a 97 ext cab long bed. i have 191 dvs 17* timing 100 plate and 4k kit with 60lb valvesprings. also have some 5x.014 sdx injectors on the way! hope to be here tomorrow! does anyone have anyidea what my truck would run in the 1/4? i am also still running the stock hx35 but it will probably go boom saturday if i pull with the 5x14. I believe i will go with a bd super b special. also 3.54 gears. so any ideas what it would run with the bd super b and my fueling if i was to upgrade to a goerend trans. i was thinking somewhere around the 14.6-7s no idea though