Brand new nv-4500 hearing the gears!

goodstktbo

money out the pipes
no vibration, just the noise, is this breakin 1000miles?? nothing to worry about?? Any special fluid in these? He put 80-90 gear oil in it, lucas. ideas?
thanks

I've never had a brand new tranny, but it sure doesn't sound normal.

Definatley the wrong fluid. It takes Castrol Syntorq. Get it from a GM dealer.

Whats the difference in name? amsoil and carsrol put special potion in their gear oil?

i run the amsoil its a lot cheaper than the GM stuff but i have been told that any synthetic GL-4 or GL-5 rated oil will do and that was from the builder of my trans from Standard Trans and Gear in TX.

Would the tranny make noise RIGHT away because of this??

No.. Bad/ damaged synchros would just make it difficult to shift and/ or grind gears....

Can't help you with the gear whine problem.. Unless it has some kind of weird straight cut gear set in it, LOL.....

As for the gear oil... Oil, regarding synthetic/ conventional composition doesn't matter as long as the gear oil rating is correct.. GL-4, GL-5, GL-6, ect. My trans had valvoline 75-90 synpower in it for 230,000 miles, then I used royal purple and it came out silver!!!! FUCH THAT!!!!.. Between every gear oil type switch i flushed the trans out with 80-90 valvoline conventional hypoid gear oil. Now I use redline 75-90ns GL-5 and with 305,000 miles on my NV-4500 the synchros are fan-ka-fuching-tastic!!!! :shake:

I run valvoline syn. 10/30 in ours. i have been told that the 80/90 gear oil is to thick to find it way in to the needle bearings on the gear for proper oiling plus as said it doesnt work with the syncros

ok thanks he had to get a special mopar fluid that was clear as water and 25 bones a qt! whitch was the GL_4 stuff he said.

if they are whining then something is too tight maybe too many shims on one of the bearings.

Did you have the noise right at the start? Is there more noise if you are on the throttle vs engine braking?
They might not have set the endplay right; such as a tapered bearing might not have been tight and quickly moved from the torque. And then with a shaft really loose, the gears will rub from the mainshaft to the counter. Or a bearing retainer plate is loose and is rubbing 5th.