Broken Hitches

Duster 5.9

I've personally never had it happen, but what is breaking when a hitch pulls apart most of the time? poor welds? using a bolt as a pin? poor design?
if it is a pin issue can a person use 2 pins?

I think alot of the time it is the pin that holds the hitch into the receiver itself. Atleast thats what I have seen.

Most of the ones that I have seen have been homemade ones that were not made correctly. Not just the weld itself but the design of it.

I have also seen receiver tubes break and pull bumpers off of the back of trucks. These were stock receivers it looked like so that could have something to do with it.

I have not had one break. Most of the hitches that do break are from a weak design or bad weld.

It was my clevis (TSC) not the hitch , but Im doing the 1in plate now

Broke a brand new one last night

Broke a brand new one last night at the sled pulls- it broke the welds of the brace and snapped the tubing in half
index.cfm

Last edited:
THe 2nd gen dodges break right at the point where the rear receiver tube connects to the cross tube. Look at the design, it won't break on the ends, the tube slides into the verticles. It is in the center. I took a 3" piece of angle laid it on top of the horizontal and welded it to the verticles. I then welded it to the center section. Been like this for 3+ years and no issues.

THe 2nd gen dodges break right at the point where the rear receiver tube connects to the cross tube. Look at the design, it won't break on the ends, the tube slides into the verticles. It is in the center. I took a 3" piece of angle laid it on top of the horizontal and welded it to the verticles. I then welded it to the center section. Been like this for 3+ years and no issues.

OH WOW so the Hitch( female) side is actually breaking too. I'll have to beaf mine up then.
zstroken; do you have a pic for us on what you did? pic's just work better for men than do words sometimes.LOL:doh: