Broken rocker arm tip

chrleb1

Charlie Brown
I know there was another thread about this. I don't remember what people were doing to fix this problem though. I thought I remember someone saying that the early 24 valve rocker arm would work. If not, is there a way to fix the little black plastics?

SKYNYRD found out he had two missing the plastic retainer when we did his head studs so he put a set of 24V rockers on and has not had any trouble out of them yet to my knowledge. I have a set of stock 04.5 rockers that have two bad intake tips, but the rest of the set, or pieces are for sale if you are interested in using the plastic one's again.

Looks like another market is ready to open up for better quality tips or arms period.

How did you notice it ? or were you doing anything when it happen ?

I noticed it when i was putting the rocker arms on. The little metal tip that fits into the plastic sleeve fell out. I was like what the heck... Then i noticed the plastic was cracked and that was causing it not to hold the metal tip.

If the early 24 valve crosses over and doesn't have any problems, i would probably do that. I just need to find some now if that is the case.

i was lucky that travis had a set of the older 24v rockers with the all metal tips. i think he has another set of the all metal tipped rockers sitting around and 22 good rockers with the plastic tips. i haven't had any problems with the rockers since i swapped them over to the older style but i haven't really pushed the truck hard yet cause of the new head studs

RobertP had the same issue too, I think it was about 3 weeks ago and I am pretty sure there is a thread here on it too.

I had the same issue when I was doing my headstud/valve spring swap.I was able to pop mine back in the plastic retainer.Not sure on the cause.I have pulled the rockers again twice for injector swap and for retorque on the studs and its still holding.They are very difficult to get back in,makes me wonder how they came out in the first place.

Looks like another market is ready to open up for better quality tips or arms period.

How did you notice it ? or were you doing anything when it happen ?
Huh? They've been available for 2-3 years now. The nicest set that I've held is from Harland Sharp. So light. Sooooo pretty.

Huh? They've been available for 2-3 years now. The nicest set that I've held is from Harland Sharp. So light. Sooooo pretty.

I knew rockers were but, not just the tips. It's only been recently that I've seen people with issues too.

i was lucky that travis had a set of the older 24v rockers with the all metal tips. i think he has another set of the all metal tipped rockers sitting around and 22 good rockers with the plastic tips. i haven't had any problems with the rockers since i swapped them over to the older style but i haven't really pushed the truck hard yet cause of the new head studs

I do have a set of all metal tips but I am going to keep them for mine just in case I have one go south on me.

Rocker arm breakage and cause

I know there was another thread about this. I don't remember what people were doing to fix this problem though. I thought I remember someone saying that the early 24 valve rocker arm would work. If not, is there a way to fix the little black plastics?

Some know that recently I had to go through a complete rebuild. Obviously one of the later things that was done was to button up my rockers. Two were found as yours. At least in my case the problem was a shop that didn't believe in torq values and found it quicker to use a impact. My rockers had been way way over torqued. My rockers had been off maybe 5 or 6 times with trying different injectors and cams so there was ample opportunity to keep screwing up the process through shoddy work habits. The threads were pulled on the studs and the pushrods were also damaged. You just have NO idea what some shops are capable of and you just can't be there to watch them work.

Bottom line,.. it's an install problem,... not a rocker problem. At least in my case. If yours are like that and they haven't been off the truck then there may be another problem besides what I elude to above. Just a caution to all.

all the more reason to do the work yourself !! It's hard to trust any shop with a 50K truck

Are the 24V rocker tip metal inserts still available? How much?

Are the 24V rocker tip metal inserts still available? How much?

Anyone have a part number for the 24v rockers that are a cross over fit? Are they that much cheaper then CR ones?

I have 2 missing and 1 I noticed that was broke (I'm going to cut off). all on the intake rockers.

Doesn't appear that if the plastic is missing that things are going to fall apart. So that's a good thing.

contact snedge he can get them to you!

Well, he's going to charge me more for pain and suffering..

Plus I asked about them $103... But, i never did ask if they were the 24v or CR ones or not. I'll call monday, but damn $300 to fix these damn things.

From what I've been told, you can't buy the metal pad rockers anymore.... I could be wrong. I had to buy a couple rockers for mine and stock CR rockers are around $54 which doesn't include the spindle. Junk yards or used sales is where to find the older rockers

i have a complete set of the 24v metal ones sitting in my garage but they will be used in my 6.7L build.