Budget twins Q's?

nborga87

Poor Boy Puller
I ve got a friend with a 01 24 valve and he wants to put twins on it using the stock hx-35. What would work better with it an ht3b or an s475 or what? also who makes the best bang for the buck piping and plumbing kit. Another question is what do you do about tuning the wastegate on the stock turbo?

thanks
nick

not really sure if the hx35 will flow through the turbine as much air as an S475 will push. you might end up overspeeding the hx35.

Holset gates suck unless you make a plate for the back of the turbo and have a by-pass pipe for the gated exhaust.....easier way would be to run a gate between the manifold and top charger and have it dump in the hot pipe.

Jim

how much do the gt 4202s run. anyone know the garret part number?

if i run a gate between manifold and top charger what do i do with the stock internal gate

block it off if you have an external gate. not sure on the part number either, the older ones 14L usualy have a tmf55 which isn't that great of a charger.

gt4202's work good and come off Detroit 60 series.

Use a Borg Warner 171702. 470-500 HP Detroit diesel series 60 (S475) and it it the replacement unit for the prone to fail Garrett.

$680-$750 range for a new unit.

Here is a place you can order one. They are in Colorado

BU Drive USA

thanks guys! who would you guys get the piping kits from? also external gates, what do you recommend? i like to hear all these opinions. i dont use twins on my pulling truck so this is new to me.

jgs has great gates for the $, i always made my own piping, schedule 40 tight radius 3" for the hot pipe and 3 to 4 inch for the cold pipe 3 tight radius 90's. But if you want a kit I think source auto makes them.

maybe i will try making it. i ve looked at a few kits and i think i can do it for a good bit less then they cost. im not too bad a t fabricating. you know of anywhere that sells the flanges for the turbine housing foots or is that something just best off to get made?

source auto have parts to build your own kit with flanges and just about everything you need if not more than you will need, I have made them and bought them before the purchased ones always turn out prettier LOL

thanks for the advice. it is more fun to do as much of the work yourself as you can, you can always say see that there i made that.