Build my sound system.....

crewgirl

Inmate #28
When it comes to car audio, I know how to turn it on and turn the volume up, that's about where my expertise ends.
I know what I want to do with my truck but I'm not sure what I need to get there, what products are the best, etc.
I want a new radio that plays cds and you can plug an mp3 player into. I want to replace all the factory speakers with better ones, and I want to add one subwoofer.

Help me design a sound system.

id start with a kenwood head unit, some pioneer door speakers, JL sub(s), about an 800w amp for the sub(s) and like a 300w 6channel amp for the highs!

LOL yeah its a 2001 Reg cab Dodge.
I listen mostly to country and rock but I also throw some dance tunes and rap and stuff in the mix. I want a system that's versatile.

If you get a good headunit you wont need an amp for the highs. You have speakers in the door and right above your head on the cab right?????

I love kenwood decks, but if you go that route I highly recommend the Excelon series (higher quality). I also recommend Polk Audio speakers. Specifically the db series. They are extremely clean and are an excellent choice if you listen to a broad range of music genre's. As far as amp's, I recommend a kenwood for your door speakers, but the head unit will easily push them. But with an external amp, they will be far cleaner with alot less distortion at higher volumes. For subs you can beat the ease, cost, and quality of the internally amplified MTX Thunder Forms. The 10" woofer will fit behind your seat and provide clean crisp punchy bass. As well as facilitate your single cab as the box is designed for it. Then a set of Polk audio (its best to stick with a one brand for mid and high range speakers as they are tuned specifically for each other and will compliment each other very well) db series tweeters. That set-up will provide you a very clear, crisp, punchy set-up for around $900.00 if you order through www.crutchfield.com They are very klnowledgeable, and their stuff comes with free install gear and destructions, lol. If you have any question Anna, pm me, I'll explain. My Father does Custom stereo systems as a hobby.

-Froggly

a polk/kenwood system w/ MTX sub and encloser will be extremely versitile. I listen to rock, rap, classical, jazz, easy listening, metal, and alot of 80's tunes. My system was put together by crutchfield techs and is the clearest, best sounding audio system I have ever heard for under $1100.00.

You absolutely do NOT need high amperage or huge subs and stuff to get great sound, unless thats what you like, or you wanna brag about 1000w amps and such. I run 255w to two tens and could not be happier with it, and 65w to 6X9's in the front doors and 6 1/4" in the back doors. For clarity and versatility, you get what you pay for, and you can hear the difference between walmart kenwoods, and the excelon series. Infinity also makes a great speaker, as well as fosgate, pioneer, kenwood, and alpine. But Polk has been the best speaker I have found for my application.

My system is as follows:
Kenwood Excelon w/ipod adapter
6X9" polk db in front
6 1/4" polk db back
polk db tweeters
MTX Thunderform w/ internal amp and 2 10'"woofers
Kenwood 4 channel amp @ 65w
tweeters are run off the head unit

Last edited:
Nakamichi head unit...~1500.00
Rainbow Reference Line 3 way component set in front only...~10,000
JL Audio 10W7 sub...~700
2 Butler TDB 2150 amps...~1500 for both
Stinger Street Wires RCA's and other wiring plus a sub enclosure and labor...~1000
That's only 14 grand and change.
If you really wanna get crazy look for some literally perfect wiring here:
http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Speaker-Cables

What ? You asked for it. LOL

Alpine head unit
Alpine 6.5" components in the front
Alpine 250w 2ch amp on those
12" Audiobahn Sub
Appropriate amp to match
Alpine 6.5" 2 ways in the back speakers (if they have them)

I like alpine stuff. Always had real good luck with them and I like their sound. May not be top of the line but for the money it's pretty nice.

i prefer pinoeer had units and JL speakers.

i ran 6.5" in the door 6x9 behind the seat on the out side and a 10w0 ported in the middle. 400w single channel amp for the sub. did really good from techno to rap and everything inbetween think i have 1300 in it all said and done.

also look at some sound deadener.. this will increase sound level

Last edited:
Decent well known subs will do just fine. Most people wouldn't ever be able to tell a difference between brands. But spend some cash on mids and tweets!!!

I had 4 10's in my truck and they sounded ok.. But the 2 12's are much better!! I listen to pretty much the same kind of music you do. Mainly rock and country, but get some hip-hop and older Rap in there for fun every now and then.

Decent well known subs will do just fine. Most people wouldn't ever be able to tell a difference between brands. But spend some cash on mids and tweets!!!

I had 4 10's in my truck and they sounded ok.. But the 2 12's are much better!! I listen to pretty much the same kind of music you do. Mainly rock and country, but get some hip-hop and older Rap in there for fun every now and then.

how did you wire the subs? series, parrell, combo of the two?

4 10s "should" out do 2 12s

area wise 125.6 sqin for 4 10s and 2 12s is 75.6 sqin

how did you wire the subs? series, parrell, combo of the two?

4 10s "should" out do 2 12s

area wise 125.6 sqin for 4 10s and 2 12s is 75.6 sqin

it was the way they hit. 10's did exactly what they were supposed to. they hit "hard". The 12's feel more like bass to me, more of a low rumble then a solid hard hit. And I like that better. The 10's were in series. 12's are parallel

hmmm... my single 10 was a soft-medium hit. could it be that persay your overpowering the said air space and thats what made them hit harder the the 12s?

i got the rough skills but no pro at this.

4 10s in parrell uses alot more power vs running them in series

It was only about 230? watts per speaker (series, less ohms), and the airspace used was on the upper end of what the manufacturer recommended. I cut the box down and got shallow 12's running about the same wattage (parallel, more ohms). Plus the space is now on the low end of what the manufacturer recommends and they sound so much better. What got me going on the 12's was my brothers little honda. I swore his 1 12" sub sounded better then my 4 10's.

my brother says he's an expert, he should be he's been doing this kind of thing long enough, but I have a hell of a time paying attention and never have enough money for an awesome system :poke:. So I definitely don't know much about stereos. I just attempt to throw it together.

On that note.. i have 4 brand new 15" MTX 7500's if anyone wants one.. or 4 :hehe: