Build my sound system.....

Information overload!

The hubby thinks if I'm gonna go with speakers with a shallow mounting depth, I should do 2 8's under the seats, or 1 12 behind the seats. I haven't had a vehicle that I gave enough of a crap about to put a sound system in since I was 16. And, I confess, my boyfriend at the time did it for me. I had a pioneer deck, an Alpine amp and two j something 12 inch woofers in the truck, with some 6x9's and 4 inch speakers and tiny lil tweeters in the cabin. It was one of those things where he and his buddies had extra crap laying around and they stuck it in my car when they were drinking one night.

I can tell you I have a JVC cd player in the Camaro and it bLoWs and I have a clarion cd player in the Hyundai that has always been awesome.

there is tons of room behind the seats.. I looked at mounting a couple under the seats, not worth the effort. They have some incredibly shallow speakers now from JL audio. 13.5" and only 2.5 inches deep. I can only imagine that they would hit pretty hard. Only downside is they are about 500 a piece. But you'd only need one.

So, in the time tested quality on a budget debate........ What is a good brand of speaker that will hold up to a variety of music that won't break the bank?
As I said before I turn the radio on and turn the volume up. I don't try to mess with bass and treble settings and all that other crap you can do with em.

I think my game plan is going to be to buy things a piece at a time until I have everything I need and then buy Vincent a 12 pack of beer to install it all. But I need an idea before I start what I'm going to end up with so it's all compatible.

Since I'm piecing it together, slightly bigger than if I was trying to get it all at once. I don't want thousands into my stereo system, but I want one thats nice and will last.

getting a good head unit will make the stock OEM speakers sound better

Pioneer. My system is all Pioneer and it comes out under $700 and it sounds very good. The only thing I'd change is going to an MTX 10" slimline sub and an MTX amp.

I've got door speakers (6"x9" I believe) and the rears are 6" 1/4 or 6" 1/2 I can't recall. (no tweeters yet) Pioneer 800W amp and the 10" slimline sub. It sounds very good in my opinion.

in my truck I have a pioneer head unitwith pioneer 6x9's in all 4 corners. I did some fabbing to put them in the back. The I also have an alpine 12" type R sub behind pass. seat, and an 800 watt kenwood amp to push it.

search the 3rd gen area for my picsa album of my stereo install. Include most part numbers. I never Added thing up, but with OUT the sub amp, I would put cost without labor at $1100. I reused my old sub amp and did all my own labor..... My system include iPod/iPhone/generic mp3 support. I did add the bluegtooth adapter as well

My jeep put out 144db 10 years ago. I figure with just the little 10 I'm close to 140db. It. Can get Loud!

I didn't think I'd like 10s I got vs my old 12s. I'd not got down to an 8. Not unless I had a 15 to back it up

Last edited:
It looks like I'm gonna piece together a system sooner than I thought. Jerome has a buddy who seems to have all kinds of stuff laying around. He gave me a dual 10's box for under the seat of a quad cab dodge. It fits perfectly behind the seats in my truck. Who needs storage back there anyways? And the guy is also giving me a set of speakers. So I'm thinking about taking the cd player out of the camaro and using it till I can get a better one.

Froggy's truck sounds amazingly clear. Hes got a perfect balance of everything going on. I plan on going the same route someday when I have money to spend...:doh:

Here's an update.......
I have a speaker box, 2 10's to go in the speaker box, an amp to drive the subs, a head unit, and the inverter thingy and enough wire to do the whole thing. Jerome's buddy gave it all to us and he's going to put it all together and wire it up for me. All it's gonna cost me is a case of beer. None of it's new, only the speakers are name brand, but for the price I'm not complaining. I'll post pictures when it's all done.

I was told that its for regular speaker wire on one side and rca cable on the other.............