Build your own transmission??

straight_six

I need to beef up the tranny in the 94... Does it take anything special to build these transmissions?? Need it to be able to hold 700hp at least!! Dont really want to pay a shop if i dont have to!!!

The od unit takes a special press tool. There is a big spring that needs to be compressed.

you need to do it on a hydraulic press. I have done one at my buddies auto shop. Forget what we used to press on the actual unit, i am sure that its something that would be easy to fab up. maybe a large piece of steel tubing to make the tool.

You will need a old intermitate shaft that you can cut to line up the o/d when you load in the direct clutches while depressing the spring. The tention the spring is under is around 900lbs. Be careful on how you set it up in the press. We dont want you to get hurt. BTW you can use 4'' tubing with a window cut in it for access to the snap rings when compressing the spring.

You will need a old intermitate shaft that you can cut to line up the o/d when you load in the direct clutches while depressing the spring. The tention the spring is under is around 900lbs. Be careful on how you set it up in the press. We dont want you to get hurt. BTW you can use 4'' tubing with a window cut in it for access to the snap rings when compressing the spring.

X2

Pretty simple transmission really... A good set of snap ring pliers, a press, and a .020 feeler gauge for working piston seals in and you're pretty much set. Much easier to go through a Dodge transmission than a GM or Ford IMO.

The intermediate shaft should be easy enough to find since you should probably update to a new one anyway.

You don't need an old shaft, just a press and a piece of exhaust tubing about 12-14 inches long. Put your overdrive unit in the press with the output shaft pointing down, drop the tubing over the intermediate shaft and press down. Remove the wavy snap rind and release the tension and everything will come apart. when you re-assemble stack everything back up, install the intermediate shaft you are gonna use, then the tubing, press it down, install the wavy snap ring and release. Stand it up on the bench, inter shaft down, out put up, drop the tail housing over it, lock in the snap ring, install the od clutches and that section is done. put the sprag, and reverse band drum, band servo in the case, put it bell down on the bench, install the od piston and tail housing gasket, then install the od section. bolt it on and stand it up on the output shaft in the floor , then stack up planetaries and drums. Here is a tip thats worth a million bucks, when you install the reverse servo, load it up with vaseline or trans-jel and push it in until the excess comes out of the feed hole, then install the spring and retainer. You will never have the servo cock and lock the band on guaranteed!!!!!$.02

Like said above it can be done with a press and some creativity, but it sure is easier with the correct tools.
Like Ponci said a piece of 4" tubing 8" long with a window cut in it will and a chopped down intermediate. The first 47re I built I wound up using a piece of 4" exhaust pipe cut a window in it, man I was scrounging all through my junk trying to find things to make it work and got lucky lining all the splines up. I'm sure you can make it happen just becareful of that spring 800+lbs force will make a good day go bad fast.

Jeremy

well i tore mine apart last night, finally. not to bad a job, but i found my od clutch pack completly burnt up. the 2nd gear band was real thin. any idea why it let go??? i did just put on a 215 pump with a 5k kit a couple thousand miles ago. might have had something to do with it.

How many miles were on the trans when it let go? What was done to the trans to make it live with higher power output?

The intermediate bands never have really thick material on them, but I have heard several people state that their bands have either stretched or the friction material was gone.

I think it wouldnt be too bad to go through one myself. I installed my valve body, and the billet input along with the billet apply lever, strut, and anchor. Id like to try my luck at one personally. If i didnt drive my truck every day, I would do it myself without a doubt!

Eric

the truck has 160k on it, and as best i can tell it was the original tranny. i will finish putting it together thursday or friday night.

I need to beef up the tranny in the 94... Does it take anything special to build these transmissions?? Need it to be able to hold 700hp at least!! Dont really want to pay a shop if i dont have to!!!

Might plan on adding some more frictions in there if your planing on 700hp.

I think it wouldnt be too bad to go through one myself. I installed my valve body, and the billet input along with the billet apply lever, strut, and anchor. Id like to try my luck at one personally. If i didnt drive my truck every day, I would do it myself without a doubt!

Eric

Not that trannys are that hard to build, but doing the stuff you have so far is just scratching the surface of what you would be doing in a good, full tranny build.

the truck has 160k on it, and as best i can tell it was the original tranny. i will finish putting it together thursday or friday night.

If it was the original tranny with no modifications to handle the increased power then I would say it just died from old age and/or was helped along by the added power. I honestly wouldn't over analyze a failure like this.