Building a 12 valve puller

Whizzbang

Hey guys just joined up, always been on dieselplace and came over here for dodge info. I am planning on buying a 96/97 single or ext. cab/long bed this winter and was wanting to strictly make it a puller, no road driving. I don't know a whole lot about what needs to be done to the 12 valves to make them hold together. I'll be pulling a local organization and unsanctioned pulls so dhra rules don't apply. I've got somewhere between 15-20k to spend on upgrades to the truck and was wondering if that would be enough to make a fairly competitive/dependable 2.8 truck? I know I need a dual disk clutch and input shafts as well as modded p-pump and charger. How much needs to be done to turn 5k rpms other than the governor springs? I'm also lost on suspension and the rest of the drivetrain. Any help or comments is appreciated! Thanks guys.

I jumped over to this side, also to build a pulling truck although mine will prolly have a S465 on it. But lots of good things to search on here you can read for hours for days, I got a really good price on a SBC dual disk from Cody Nichols (Codyn on here) I think he said somthing about having a sale on SBC products this month too, he can set you up good. To spin 5K alot of people recommend a fluiddamper and balanced bottom end, the guys that spin that can chime in but, it wont be cheap to build a competitive 2.8 but sounds like you got some cash set aside for a good start.

No need to balance the bottom end for 5k+ I don't know how I know this I just do ;).... Many others will agree and disagree, do as you please.
Brandon

Turning that many Rpms and that horsepower your looking at go with a weighted clutch nless you want to tear a clutch out every 7 pulls. I would even look into a triple disc.

Hey Whizzbang where you from?? I may (MAYBE Brandon) sell my 97 ext cab this winter. It is not set and stone yet. PM me if you are interested and I'll give you the details.

If interested a I'm selling the puller in my sig? Pm for more information.

No need to balance the bottom end for 5k+ I don't know how I know this I just do ;).... Many others will agree and disagree, do as you please.
Brandon

What gov springs do you run and what kinda rpm do you see? And you haven't ballanced your motor?

My stock short block has seen 5300 range a time or two. I typically shift at 4500-4600.

Mine will come with an extra block and O-ringed cylinder head! Along with the O-ringed head thats on it!

I see your block and head, and will throw in a 47RE, and another 12V head.

Depending where you are from and what the 2.8 class rules you will be using, it will have a large impact on cost. If you were in Michigan you will need all of the 20k, if you do alot of the work your self. I think most of the guys here have 20 - 30k in thier trucks.

Well geeze I might as well put my puller/daily driver up for sale too. Butits a Dmax.

Anyways from what I can remeber from back in the day when I was dead set on buying a Cummins was this.

You need the GSK and heavy valve springs. As for the stuff to turn those RPMs I dont know.

Honestly with so many pulling trucks for sale it would be more cost effective to buy one that is either set up or halfway setup and go from there. And Im not just talking about the ones in this thread.

Back