building a 6.7

gottacummins

Hey fella I have been doing some cummins builds and just keep reading and gettin bigger and better ideas. So Im looking to build a 6.7, Im thinking of puttin a 5.9 crank in it. Would that be the way to go? Also I was thinking of p pumping it but I dont know if thats the way to go either. Any ideas on how to get it fuel? Just kinda throwing this idea around, im sure its all been done before, I guess im just lookin for some feed back and some ideas/details.

Thanks

sticking a 5.9 crank isn't a big deal, but you will need custom pistons, or deal with a really, really decompressed engine!

I believe the most HP that's been made out of a 6.7 is a bit over 600hp.

You may want to give PDI a call as they seem to be in the for front of building 6.7's.

I wouldn't doubt a 6.7's crank is better than a 5.9's anyway. Their pistons are larger, fuel rail, injectors...etc. Dealing with the electronics is a big issue though.

so can the block be board out? if so how much? And how should I fuel the thing? use all the 6.7 electronics? p pump cp3 i dont have a clue?

so can the block be board out? if so how much? And how should I fuel the thing? use all the 6.7 electronics? p pump cp3 i dont have a clue?

Block can be bored, but I would stay with the stock bore, if at all possible.
Do you want a 6000 rpm puller, you should decide what you want to do with the truck and then decide how your gonna control it.

It's your build, fuel how you want. You can stick with the CP3 if you want the ability of turning it up or down on the fly. If you want max fuel...go for the p-pump.

The problem with the 6.7 seems to be RPMs. I dont think youll have enough RPM to be competitive. Even the smarty is only 3250 RPM. for 3.0 class id put a set of rods in it, coat the pistons, cam it and P-Pump the biotch.

kinda been kickin the same Idea around my self. I'm wanting to take my 5.9 that I have in the truck now, get a 6.7 crank, bore out the engine some, cusotm pistons, use a 12 or VP 24V crank gear, 24V cam gear, and a timing cover for either woodruff, Keating Machine, or PHD, cut the intake plentum off my 5.9 head, full port with a custom fabricated intake plentum, maxed out 12mm p-pump, and matched VP 24V injectors for the p-pump, S465 turbo, cam, ect....... I believe it will all work, just gotta do a little more research to see what all custom work may have to be done to the block to accept the crank.

Beans diesel performance and browns diesel both made 900-1000 with a 6.7 with 03 electronics. Now that they have tuners to get rid of emissions the electronics are not a problem. Only reason I'm stopped now at 500 or so hp is they don't have a tranny to hold any more than that. I'm all set up for serious horsepower but I need to do a 48re swap or wait for someone to come out with a stout 68rfe which it doesn't sound like its ever gonna happen. By the way these 6.7's make serious torque, like horsepower x 3 with a smarty tuner. This is according to Marco, the tune available now is detuned to like 2.5 x horsepower until someone comes out with a tranny then he will increase the tune. Reb brown's pickup makes 646 and 1700 or something like that. I'll see if I can find the dyno graph.

Correction, it was 1612ft/lb.
67L_Dyno_Chart.jpg
[/IMG]

Smarty = FLAT POWER!!!!!

6.7L 900+ hp = Broken rods also. 1075hp, they went out the block.