Building a 90 VW Diesel.

IMG00063.jpg

IMG00062.jpg

IMG00058.jpg

Brake work being done. From 8 inch rotors.
IMG_0521.jpg

to 11 inch rotors and dual piston calipers.
IMG_0522.jpg

Figure its time for a quick update.

I've put about 15k on it averaging about 40mpg.

I've destroyed 2 turbos to date as well. The last one caused a runaway 500 miles from home. Well it knacked the rings doing so and left some valve imprints on the piston's as well. #3 piston was broken and there were pieces of turbo mashed on the top of #2 and #3.
I ended up tearing it down in the car and installed some Total Seal rings on new pistons. I've driven about 600 miles so far after the new rings and blowby is damn near gone! Time will tell I guess.

Some guy asked me if I wanted to sell it this morning when I stopped at the post office.. Damn I was tempted..

Last edited:
I'm running a 8 puck from Clutchnet.

Holds great @ 30 psi which is good considering these little things are set @ 12psi max.

Once this one is gone I'll be running a 6 puck from them as well with their pressure plate.

Just wanted to do a quick update as Mark has been wearing me out with his build (haha). I had to tear mine down again and replace the pistons and rings. I ended up using Total Seal rings and once again went with new injectors. This time I used German parts though. OE 1mm over pistons and I have in a box next to the bed all new mains again. Just need to get the time to get them installed. I've spent an awful lot of time over the last few weeks helping friends get their cars moving before it snowed so now it's time to concentrate on my car I guess.

After the Total Seal rings I've noticed my blow by is almost non existent. Lovin it.

thanks for all your help Dan!! couldn't have done this with out you!:clap:
you have been a huge help and have been able to save my lots of cash since you have already done most of this before...
thanks buddy
:Cheer:

Oh hell ya!

not a problem at all Mark, my time consumption comment was directed towards this damn Town and Country van I had to build the trans for then my bud Hyundai needed a trans and I ended up doing that.. Before I knew it all my nice weather was used up and my car isn't done.
Helping you is fun so that was/is NO problem.

Besides I'm still excited about a new intake manifold ;)

I installed a new 10mm pump over the weekend with a very aggressivly cut fuel pin.
Idle is butter smooth now and even with the intercooler I can hit over 30psi.
SCREAMS down the road!
Cant wait till 53willys gets his done so we can play on the rollers..

you should bring that thing down to KY for the TS event in April/May hopefully i will get my 79 rabbit back on the road again i went complete tear down on it.

Ya just putt on over to KY..

Damn dude that's a tad to far for me..
Would be fun I'm sure though.

you could meet up with cookcr and his buddies that are driving thier truck from CO. just think you could drive twice the distance as the guys driving there truck for the same cost. lol i'll be driving 700 one way either in my truck or in the rabbit if its on the road. i checked it from the center of utah it is 1640 miles whats 3000 there and back lol.

That's like over 40 hours of driving.. I like my car but not for 40 hrs.

Just take pics and send them my way. :)

Back