Building a 90 VW Diesel.

I hope you have better luck than the current shop projects... the death toll was 2 complete VW engines within a week. On a side note, did Kevin already ask you what would cause a pump to stick wide open & run away?

I heard, that's sad news man...

He didnt ask just told me what happened.

My guess would be the oil baffel was missing under the valve cover thus the blowby jucies would be flowing out that vent on the top of the valve cover into the top of the intake (STUPID DESIGN) thus the faster it runs the more blowby the faster it runs and BAM!! we have a toasted engine.
I'm running a tube to the ground like on my Cummins, just blowby to the ground, I'll put one of those little Stainless filters on the end to prevent crap getting in there also.

The other option would be as billysgoat mentioned if the fuel screw was turned in to much it could cause a runaway condition as well. It doesnt take much just try turning the fuel up a tad for more power and zoom were off to the races sorta speak :(

I cant tell ya how much I wish we were closer, I would love to snag all the stuff left over.

It's yours Dan....but the beer better be cold when it gets here!! LOL LOL

I forgot about VW's abortion attempt with the vent tube, that would indeed do it.

It's yours Dan....but the beer better be cold when it gets here!! LOL LOL

I forgot about VW's abortion attempt with the vent tube, that would indeed do it.

SWEET!!!!

I dont think you would like out watered down version of beer, Utah sucks.

That's what I told him about the oil vent, but he didn't seem to think there was more oil than normal in the intake tract. AFAIK, the fuel screw wasn't tweaked. I guess it's a good thing since he's considering going with a turbo engine now. Is yours street tested yet?

That's what I told him about the oil vent, but he didn't seem to think there was more oil than normal in the intake tract. AFAIK, the fuel screw wasn't tweaked. I guess it's a good thing since he's considering going with a turbo engine now. Is yours street tested yet?

Street tested? :hehe:

Um no. It doesnt even have a front end on the car yet.

Even after that I have to do the 11" brake conversion followed by all new struts/springs followed by exhaust system, then I need to remove the fuel tank and clean it out, been sitting with fuel in it for 4 years.

THEN... I need to ge the Recaro seats installed THEN I need to install the AVIC Z2..

I have a few things to do still.

If I could just work on it I'll bet i could get it done in maybe 4 days but I dont have the time so it gets 1-3 hrs a night is all.

LOL I'd say just a few things left... You can drive on a stack of newspapers, who needs a front end, they just add drag anyway!

I started and almost finished the rear suspension and disk conversion last night. Hope to finish the brakes tonight and get the fuel system cleaned out so I can get started on the down pipe ASAP.

I'll get pics of the rear up soon.

Does the turbo downpipe have the same weird clamp things on it or do you ahve to fab one yourself?

Does the turbo downpipe have the same weird clamp things on it or do you ahve to fab one yourself?

The turbo has a 4 bolt flange on the outlet so I'll be using a piece of 3/8 plate for that and I had an exhaust shop bend me some random 3" so I can build it.

It has some really tight bends so it should be fun to build.

There is a guy in Canada that builds some sweet DP's but they are $300.00 and a few weeks out. I need to get this thing on the road so I get to build it.

Thanks,

Question. I'll post this in the Dodge section as well as it's not vehicle specific.

When larger Delivery valves are installed in the VE or P pumps do you get a lopey idle?

IMG00063.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE!!

Did some adjustments on the pump last night and DAYUM!!

This thing is fun to drive.

I had some issues to work out this last week, block heater blew out, had a slight oil leak from the oil passage I had welded up. Then I had to swap the trans as it was WAY to low geared so I have a new one in there now.

Anywho, was able to go for a quick run around the town and it was fun.

Little K24 is pushing 35psi. I better get an intercooler ASAP..

Dude, that's seriously sweet! Does anyone make aftermarket pistons?

Dude, that's seriously sweet! Does anyone make aftermarket pistons?

The aftermarket pistons really aren't needed. There are plenty of OE pistons available in over size.
Then I guess if your serious you can have them ceramic coated and people have but i'm only hitting 1300 at full throttle so I dont really have a need.
Once I add the intercooler I suspect it will be even less ;)

Still progressing. Added a FMIC last night.

I need a better clutch now, no choice this one will be gone soon. Very soon.

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

Back