Building a Performance Marine Engines

Yep, it may not happen, but it is sure fun thinking and dreaming and planning, tho, ain't it?

Yeah, I hear you, but being an engineer, when you're married to a certain engine and you're going against the grain of what everyone else is doing, what is it exactly you're trying to accomplish? Winning, or being an also-ran with a Cummins?

I know you've scoffed at the Dmax and thrown it under the hull. Why not something like an Audi or Peugot TDI like they use in LeMans? Are they maintenance nightmares?

On the surface it would appear you have unlimited funding...

Yeah, I hear you, but being an engineer, when you're married to a certain engine and you're going against the grain of what everyone else is doing, what is it exactly you're trying to accomplish? Winning, or being an also-ran with a Cummins?

I know you've scoffed at the Dmax and thrown it under the hull. Why not something like an Audi or Peugot TDI like they use in LeMans? Are they maintenance nightmares?

On the surface it would appear you have unlimited funding...

Actually, I'd think that DM threw themselves under the bus would be more accurate, esp since it is an UNTESTED wet dream and not real.

Engineers revel (generally) in 'perfect' (a/o 'elegant') solutions (or more usually knuckle under to accounting and marketing demands and produce something unpolished, unfinished, flawed and half-done) and are fully capable of conflating forest & tree. You see nothing wrong with the clear & obvious maintence nightmare that is the front of the DM. I was horrified at the attempted fraud.

You mean something like this: RED A03 / V12 | RED aircraft GmbH | RAIKHLIN AIRCRAFT ENGINE DEVELOPMENTS

Raikhlin has the rights to develop the alloy Audi/VW V-12 for aircraft AND marine use. He has a prototype 750hp marine that has never gotten wet, and Audi engineers say it takes an hour of maintenance for every 2hours running, and that is on dry land. err ... NO

Horsepower is horsepower: diesel, gas, Cummins, DM, hamsters on wheels.

I want 8-900 of the lowest-maintenance, smallest, lightest, most reliable diesel horsepower I can find. A very conservative re-build of a Cummins B comes closest to that ideal ... 500kg and 30gpm, WOT

FPT C-90-825?? --- 1400kg & 45 gal/hr
IFM 1306/790?? --- 980kg (but will not sell an engine for 'racing') & 40gph
MAN R6-800?? --- 1300kg and daily adjusting & 40gph
SeaTek 950 --- 980kg and more maint than the Audi. & 43gph
Yanmar 6SY-720 --- 1100kg and 38gph
CAT C12/755 (tweaked) --- 1200kg and 40gph

As you may note, these are REAL, currently available engines, in daily service, with transparent histories - NOT silly-ass vapourware and breezy, untroubled daydreams that (also and coincidentally) require a schooled, certified 200# mechanic, as well as a rolling toolkit and 30cu.ft. of spare parts as supercargo.

If you have other suggestions - preferably that do not necessitate stopping every hour for tea & maintenance - I'd be pleased to know them.

I am part of a well-funded, serious syndicate, yes.

Last edited:
monotherms in a mechincal B? are they even avilable?

yup, Mahle, and includes the top land-ring and alloy skirt. Both coating (PolyDyn) and having rpm-related misting conn-rods matter.

It takes a while to make them, but they are available, std 6.7 and overbore.

Have you thought of decompressing? The new Mazda diesel runs 14:1 or less but it lessens the torque in the liter rpm range while giving more rpms and still be efficient.

Have you thought of decompressing? The new Mazda diesel runs 14:1 or less but it lessens the torque in the liter rpm range while giving more rpms and still be efficient.

Why would he want an ether baby with no land in sight? Minor decompression from shaved pistons or fly cuts would make sense however.

hmmm well, I think you may want to re-evaluate your engine specifications.

you are asking for an engine to have a BSFC of .255...no way in hades a 800HP cummins 5.9 will do that!!!

Made me remember something i wrote a long time ago...

In issue 33 pages 28 and 29 of the TDR magazine there are three BSFC curves.
The engines are as follows, B5.9-175, B5.9-160, and ISB 235. Of these three engines the most fuel efficient is the ISB235, so I decided to use this engine as a baseline for the comparison. Attached to this post is a scanned version of the BSFC curve for the ISB235 on page 29 of issue 33.Looking at the curve on the bottom, there is a visible upsweep starting @1600 and continuing to 3200. @ 3200 RPM, this engine consumes 0.393 pounds of fuel per horsepower hour. Extrapolating out to 4000 RPM, gives us .4378 pounds per horsepower hour

In all seriousness ... if you, or anybody has a REAL alternative (for my needs) than a 'B' build, I would be please to look at them.

My even replying to the DM fanbois and their worthless & imaginary wet dreams was a waste and I am sorry I wasted the breath, esp and p't'cly as it was obvious neither had read my needs, not had any conception of what 'blue-water' means.

My crew will be two, and, in addition to having real roles that require concentration, neither will be a school-trained mechanic, NOR will the boat have the space for a complete 3rd engine to rob fall-offs, nor capacity for a rolling toolkit, and compressor for pneumatic tools.

Please, NO "jam tomorrow."

hmmm well, I think you may want to re-evaluate your engine specifications.

you are asking for an engine to have a BSFC of .255...no way in hades a 800HP cummins 5.9 will do that!!!

just to add a little perspective,

a BSFC of 0.255 is asking that an engine that is modified to make over 2x it's design horsepower to be significantly more efficient than designed...

0.255 is equivelant to 48% with the mythical 140,000 BTU/gallon fuel...

no effin way dude!!

A duramax would be a great engine for that boat, they have been putting a few in some of the bigger poker run boats and have been doing well.

just to add a little perspective,

no effin way dude!!

My poor haid ...

Dunno no BSFC, but I do have some pretty good consumption data for modified 'Cummins' and hotted up FPT/IVECO 6.7 variants, and some spottier data on IFM and SeaTek in endurance conditions.

With a lot of 'dependings' I think I can stay around 33gph on a (hot) 'B' build at 80%+ WOT, with maybe 45-50gph the first couple of fully-wet hours.

Size (of your gas tank) matters, yanno?

A duramax would be a great engine for that boat, they have been putting a few in some of the bigger poker run boats and have been doing well.

I don't think that is so, but I asked over on OSO, and they will know, by manufacturer, 1st owner and 2nd owner and ... towing company.

Plus, inshore and offshore? croquet and lugnuts.