Building an insane van (long)

Flyin'Brick

Hello, I'm new to this great site and I'm hunting for some ideas for my (stupid) project..
Now that my trusty E350 cargo van's been retired from work duty (company bought me a VW:doh: :kick:) i've got the opportunity to "convert" it to a drag racer:rockwoot:
Since i've allready got some traction issues (2WD, 430rwhp/850tq thanks to DP Tuner and all kinds of drugs:bang ) and there's no place in the engine compartment i'm thinking of moving the engine back, behind the drivers seat:evil . This would gain some more weight back, and give me all the place i want for headers/turbos/exhaust/intercooler ASO...
I'm also building a 4 link rear suspension for it. Problem is there's not enough room for a drive shaft.... just an adapter plate between the tranny and the rear axle! And i still want some suspension! That's the challenge...
Any ideas how to solve this problem is greatly appreciated!!

Dang man First off welcome to the Site. Second thats a heck of a project to take on. Sorry ,but the only advise I can offer is take pictures.

Welcome.
And good luck. Sounds like quiet an undertaking.

Solid mount the rear like a top fuel car.. It would ride like doo doo, but you scould make it hook .....you could always enlarge the van "hump" behind the dash too.

Of course, you could always turn the motor around and use a V drive like in fuel boats and wheelie trucks/vans

I know on the old mid engine dodge vans and econolines and stuff they could get a driveshaft that was ust a few inches long to work with a minimal travel suspension arrangement, the other idea could be to use a conversion plate from destroked or something and run a short tailshaft tranny (I think they make short shaft turbo 400s?) Wouldn't be cheap, but your project doesn't sound cheap either =)

Sounds like a cool project. Maybe "Custom Enlarge" the engine compartment lol

Thanks for the replies!
I know it's alot of work involved with this project, but for the moment it seems like the hardest part will be to get it past the inspection - without loosing the license plates...
I'm working on two sub frames for the drivetrain. One inner frame where the engine, tranny and rear axle is mounted, and a outer frame whitch is mounted in the truck frame. The inner frame is attached to the outer frame with a spindle (kind of) - front and back. This will handle side to side movement from the rear axle. The outer frame will be mounted to the truck frame with two spindles - one on each side to handle the up/down movement of the rear axle. Suspension will be 4 airbags - 2 in front of the inner frame, and 2 behind the outer frame... I'll try to post some pics of it....
I have no idea how this will work... but it should work well (in theory)
The weight of the suspended parts will increase drasticaly (is that a word?) since it's not longer only the axle - but the whole drivetrain that's suspensioned...
For racing it's no problem as i can empty the rear airbags and let the outer frame "rest" on the truck frame...
Oh well.....

Sounds like a crazy project, I'd like to see that. What's it run the way it's set up now?

I think it would make a cool Wheelie Van... Black Smoking down the Quarter on the back Wheels! Awesome!

there was a van on pinks the last night with 800 hp and the engine in the front and it hooked pretty good they just move the engine back a couple inches

imelmo said:
Sounds like a crazy project, I'd like to see that. What's it run the way it's set up now?
Best 1/4 -14.156@97.13MPH
Best 1/8 - 8.813@78.23MPH with a 1.898 60' (slics)
Done with suisidal amounts of pane and meth. I'm not proud of it, i just had to stop the :blahblah1: of the owner of the "worlds fastest evvver noonecanbeatme toyota superdupera"
I did:hehe:

Last edited:
heres a crazy idea, 4wd conversion, 4wd launches!, not have to get into all that crazy 4 link engine mounting no suspension stuff, and you would have a full interior road trip 4wd badass rig!

Put an IRS in it. Expedition uses a 9.75" IRS that should hold the power. There should be plenty of lockers available as the center section is used on all F-150s with the 5.4. This would allow a fixed differential/transmission with short to no driveshaft.

Oh, yeah, then get a 150 front end, lower it, and put Lightning wheels on it...

nm50 said:
Put an IRS in it. Expedition uses a 9.75" IRS QUOTE]

Awsome! I didn't know that.... but how much power will it handle? It will get a new motor. Hopefully around 550-600rwhp (fuel only).

About 4WD - that was my first tought, but i don't like the increased ride hight... And how much power can the transfer case handle?

The 9.75" differential is being used behind many souped up Lightnings (with big blowers), so it will take a bit of power. I don't know what kind of tourque it will stand up to, but is built pretty stout. I think it comes factory with 34 spline axles for the solid units - the irs ones may be bolted flanges, not sure. I have heard t-cases can withstand torque in the thousands, so it may be fine. I would consider the Expedition front (31 spline 8.8") and AWD t-case. AWD should ensure your front and rear live for a while under power. There are lots of aftermarket parts for the 8.8 as well. With this running gear, you may be able to lower the vehicle a bit. Put some captains chairs in it, a TV on the engine hump, and you have a comfy traveler! Happy fabrication!