Building TWINS worth it to build my own pipes?

IC-Smoke

Oh SNAP!
Im poking around to build a set of twins. Is it worth the effort to build it myself or just spend the 2K and buy someones kit? I was at a loss of words when I heard the price just for the pipe and other misc items.:doh:

I have access to a machine shop and can run a mill so the flat stock steel stuff is easy from what ive see, and the piping you can buy pre-bent and chop it up with a radial saw... Im not seeing where they can get 2K for steel..... I guess its the price jump in steel lately?!?!

heck the hot pipe was almost 500 dollars!!! talk about a kick in the :kick:

any info is appreciated!

Ian

I have a friend who built his. Steel is expensive, but it is just time consuming test fitting everything. If your wanting to save the cash and have time for the truck to be down, then just build them.

I'm planning on building my own, I agree the piping is really expensive.

Justin

im also building my own and have access to a machine shop and source automotive has a lot of the machined parts for sale. buddy of mine did the same thing and it worked out just fine and he saved a lot

Time & little parts add up. I think we ended up with ~600 in small parts & shipping when we built LAmiller's setup. If you have all winter and can stand waiting while you learn how, go for it!

Also if you build it your self, you can use other turbos than the normal (35,40,s300/3b,s400). I made mine myself in 2 months and I am a slow fabricator. My best suggestion is to go and look and take pics of as many twin setups as you can and plan on what you are gonna do. I liked the Schied method of supporting the big charger, but it didnt work with my setup.

Ian

Take the time and build them yourself, you will be much happier with them in the end.

Zach

:bow: thanks guys!!! any tips/trick to building it myself?

source automotive has a bracket to support the bottom turbo but Ive seen a lot of twins with no support.... whats up with that?

Hey guy's anyone ever do a 35 40 combo? It's what I have until I can save a little for an s400,would the piping be similer with the 40 and s400? Guy's since there are a few of us that are thinking about it why don't we approach Rip from Source on a group buy for the pipes at least?? Anyone interested?

lmills and i built a set of of twins for my truck 35/40 stage 2.5 over an s400 with an ext gate off the manifold. spools really quick, i lost 300 degrees on egts going from a PS 66 to the twins. tows great, runs awesome. i am thinking about selling them to build a bigger set though. j

I just built my own set and ordered all my parts from airflo.com. You can save a lot, but time is money. I hope that those twin kits cost that much b/c of all the time they have in pipe fitting.

I'm thinking about building a twin kit or 2 and if all goes well I may start building budget twin kits in my spare time

SPLnut said:
I'm thinking about building a twin kit or 2 and if all goes well I may start building budget twin kits in my spare time

sounds good Ill be your beta tester!:rockwoot:

Theres a lot more to it then most think. I've built a few sets and it's the little things that start getting you.

Guy's this may be a stupid question but does anyone have some sort of print made up with measurments and such to do this piping? I would like to do this but I'm just not confidant enough of a fabricator to get it done. Anyone willing to sell me a homemade print with the nessesary measurments??

what do you want to know, just flip the manifold. bolt on the little turbo and place the big turbo down close to the frame rail to make room for the 5" exhaust to get by the bell housing.if this scares you just buy the piping.

Schoust said:
Guy's since there are a few of us that are thinking about it why don't we approach Rip from Source on a group buy for the pipes at least?? Anyone interested?
I'd be interested in a builders pkg. on piping, if he gives us a goodie group buy price....:rockwoot:

hopefully its a lot better than the price I was quoted earlier. and that was on the builders piping thats just tacked together.

Schoust said:
Hey guy's anyone ever do a 35 40 combo? It's what I have until I can save a little for an s400,would the piping be similer with the 40 and s400? Guy's since there are a few of us that are thinking about it why don't we approach Rip from Source on a group buy for the pipes at least?? Anyone interested?

Here's my advice. Buy the bottom turbo mounting bracket. If you're going to use a s400 buy rips. If you're going to use a 3b piers has a good bracket. Mount the bottom turbo, Flip the manifold, mount the top turbo. Then you start measuring. If you use a s400 you'll need 3 90* elbows for the cold pipe. If you use a 3b you'll need 3 90's and 1 45*. For the exhuast I've always just used to 5" 45* elbows. For the hot pipe I use a short radius 90*. With the intercooler pipe there are a few differant options 1) you can buy one, 2) you can make one with a couple 45's and weld, or 3) you can use a copule mixture of 45's or 90's and use silicone with brass rings. Hope this helps some.

Just mount the 2nd turbo on a stack in the bed, it would be like $100 for pipe, you could hide it with a fake toolbox and then lie and say you only had one turbo when you popped the hood LOL