Building Up The Old Truck

I'll let you know how it runs sometime next week.... My heads back at the shop being put back together right now.

Started painting the block last night, didn't get to far since we took it off the engine stand then realized that we should have painted before making room for the 350 SB we're working on.
262286_10150639705720212_703730211_19197148_4192841_n.jpg

Quick question, I know ARP says to hand tighten the studs but after finding some loose head studs when we tore the engine down, should I be torquing the studs themselves down?

Or am I just asking to snap a stud when we torque the bolts?

Last edited:
30 psi spring from an airdog next to a 40 psi spring

2011-06-18144000.jpg

This is what happens when you dont pay attention and set the valve lash at 3 in the morning so you can finish doing a head gasket so you have a vehicle to get you to work in 3 hours

30048_10150194549810212_703730211_12952066_466486_n.jpg

Almost a year later... A little internal damange from my bent pushrod incident that is now apparent with a clean block
2011-06-18224005.jpg

Undamaged part of the block to see how its damaged
2011-06-18224013.jpg

bottom tapping the mains
2011-06-18225136.jpg
[/QUOTE]

main studs installed
2011-06-18214106.jpg

main studs lubed up to mark the girdle
2011-06-18221014.jpg

girdle mocked up
2011-06-18221654.jpg

not the best picture but you can see the gap in the left side of the photo that the studs create, hence why the girdle has to be modified.
2011-06-18221708.jpg

Hopefully I'll have a few pictures of the modified girdle and a "built" bottom end this week. Just waiting on my girdle to come back from the shop so I can wrap the short block up

I'm hoping to drill it tomorrow or Wednesday once we get some things moved out of the machine shop at work so I can use the drill press. I just need to go measure the diameter of the stud so I know what bit to use.

When I mocked it up, it looks like just drilling a hole should do the trick. The only thing that I can see causing an issue is the top of the bolt on the stud hitting the girdle but thats a bridge that I'll cross later if need be.

It should be running no later than next week though. Going to the shop Thursday to pick up my head and pistons. Then I just need to check valve clearence then I'll be doing work

No. I've been swamped at work doing CAD drawings for a project and summer classes are killing whatever time I did have to work on the truck. I've got a couple more pics to put up, and hopefully after my FE Exam next week Ill have some free time again to wrap this project up

Yes pistons have .080" reliefs. Took forever to find a shop around here that would cut them

No pictures of the modified stiffener but I do have a picture on my phone where the gear lube hit the stiffener to give you an idea where I'm going to drill.

is there a reason you had the pistons cut? i was told by the people at hamilton that oyu dont need and reliefs for the 188 220

It was just to have some growing room to be entirely honest.

I talked to Ryan about it and he said I shouldn't have any problems especially with the .010 over HG and the o rings but I just want to make sure everything is perfect

Little set back this weekend. My mechanic decided that I wasn't paying him enough since he was making more money off gassers even though we agreed on a price.... I know what I'm doing it was just nice having that extra set of eyes watching...

But the good news is, I have some great friends who also happen to be pretty Cummins savy and we're going to get it back together here in a week or two. I just have to get through my FE Exam before I start in on it.

Finally got some work done... Short block will be finished tomorrow and I'm hoping to have it back on the road by this weekend.

Girdle marked to be modified
2011-07-16122313.jpg

Holes drilled to clear the main studs
2011-07-16123557.jpg

I'll have pictures of the girdle mounted tomorrow.

Here's a quickie from Saturday when I was trying to remember where all the bolts went
2011-07-16170644.jpg

Yeah, just regular engine paint. And I'm glad I'm finally getting to use that cover. Its been sitting on a shelf ever since I won it awhile back...

So once you bottom taped the main stud holes the nut doesn't sit up high enough to interfear with the stiffener? Or did you machine the tops of your main caps?

Thats what I'm going to find out tonight.... Hopefully.... I did not get a chance to work on it last night since my last linear algebra test is today and I really want an A on it.

I haven't had the stiffener back on since test fitting it after I drilled it, but it does look like they should clear, but I'll have a definite answer hear shortly

Thats what I'm going to find out tonight.... Hopefully.... I did not get a chance to work on it last night since my last linear algebra test is today and I really want an A on it.

I haven't had the stiffener back on since test fitting it after I drilled it, but it does look like they should clear, but I'll have a definite answer hear shortly

update? Pics? Never did say if you milled your main caps or not?

Thanks

No updates yet... I found out my headlights are shorting out in my Ford the other night so I'm trying to track that down. Its killing me now that I'm only a few hours away from being able to drive my truck again... But no I did not have the caps milled. But once I get some updates I'll post pictures right away