buying a 12 valve what check

strokin09

diesel nut
i am buying a 12 valve and im sure there is a thread on here but i cant find it or if not what are some of the things to look for on them. it is a 12 valve 4x4 96 if that helps at all.

No oil in water and no water in oil. No pressure at the oil cap.

check the front end tie rods, track bar etc . make sure you know whether or not the trucks been modified. It isnt a bad thing if it is but it could of been modified by someone who had no gauges or was towing and just let the egts climb

I would check and make sure the breakoff screw is still untouched on the afc, make sure the wire is still across the smoke screw on the back and across the gsk hole. and like above check the oil and coolant for cross contamination. other than, look over the timing case good for any sighns of leaks or cracks or JB weld repairs....

Look on the drivers side of the block all the way to the front of the motor for a rather large 53 . If so it is a block casting that is known for cracking . Im not sure if the 53 went that far back or not.Rich

Look on the drivers side of the block all the way to the front of the motor for a rather large 53 . If so it is a block casting that is known for cracking . Im not sure if the 53 went that far back or not.Rich

I dont think the 53 blocks went back that far.

Make sure it doesn't have 24 Valves!!!

lol

Or at least not a cp3:kick: