Bw 63/68/.83 t4

I'm not sure how they compare, but I ran my 63 as a single for a short bit after I bought it. It was just as quick as my 351, lower drive and lower egt. I doubt you'd regret buying this.

My pocket would hate it, my stock vp would hate it, and my stock trans would die. Lol

I don't know what the .83 t4 housing translates to as far as cm2 is concerned. He says in the text HX40 exhaust housing, so I didn't know if that meant he swapped housings and HX40 turbos have a few different exhaust housings plus I'm not a turbo expert, so I was looking for the information in a format that I would understand what exactly the turbo was. But thanks for the useless comment.

Hx40 clamp/out let. Do some research. Smart a$s comments towards the "old" guys don't do you much good.

hx40 is the outlet flange. .83 is the "size" of the housing.. im no turbo expert either but might wanna chill out a bit. guys don't tend to take to new guys talking to senior guys like that.. just trying to help ya out.. you could also SEARCH, google is your friend

I don't know what the .83 t4 housing translates to as far as cm2 is concerned. He says in the text HX40 exhaust housing, so I didn't know if that meant he swapped housings and HX40 turbos have a few different exhaust housings plus I'm not a turbo expert, so I was looking for the information in a format that I would understand what exactly the turbo was. But thanks for the useless comment.

Sorry your mom spoonfeeds you and changes your diaper. Tell her to throw another hot pocket in the microwave while you're at it. <<<<(example of useless comment)

Useless comment.... I gave you the information you asked for. I'm not out to bust your balls since your new and don't understand,we were all there at some point but just a word to the wise if there is something that you don't understand come out and say it in the initial post.This site can be harsh at times since it's tailored to people who have been around diesels for a little while.

Sit back and read the link below, hint the turbine housing is the exhaust housing.
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/turbine_housing_AR_and_housing_sizing

Last edited:
Was not my intention to stir the $hit, I explained why I was confused and even with all the typical young guy jokes, I still am not totally sure I understand how it works. I have searched to try to find the conversion for cm2 and also to better understand the A/R given. Everything I find says the A/R is dependant on the housing used and other factors, I appreciate the link Howling sent me, but that just explains the smaller housing is better for low end and spools faster, which I understand that part. The part I don't understand is, according to the search function, a .83 A/R on T3 is a different size than a .83 on a T4 housing, so just because they are the same number doesnt mean they are the same size. Maybe I should've just asked if this turbo would work spool well with my 97 12V cummins running 5x14s, just dont want a laggy turd, plan on using the truck as a daily/ light tow and didnt want something with a huge exhaust housing that doesnt light until 2200rpm. Sorry to those I offended, perhaps I took his comment to be more of an a$$hole comment than it was intended to be. Apologize for the hijack, but I am serious about the turbo.

Even with 191dvs, #100 plate, and 17deg timing? I figured those would keep fuel modest and EGts manageable and I seen threads on guys running 5x12s on HE351s, so I figured this turbo was big enough to handle the bigger injector comfortably. Also, towing will be minimal, just a car hauler. I just noticed Howling has this turbo and 5x14s in his signature with a maxed out pump. How does she run Howling?

I run 5x.014 with a decent amount of pump work and the 63/68/83 T4 on my 96 and it's a great responsive turbo.