C13 Swap

straight_six

We have a 06 379 with a C13 that took a dump. The cost of a inframe or reman is making me want to swap the 13 out and have a engine that will last more 400,000 miles. Has anyone on here swapped a c13 out? If you did, what did you go with and did you have to modify or move the transmission back at all?

One of our local elevators bought a 07 379exhd with a bad c13. They put a 6nz in it, and according to the driver it was bolt in. They had to get a different computer from peterbilt to run the gauges. Im sure there was more but he helped with it and told me it was a pretty easy swap.

as long as the motor mount brackets bolt up you should be good. but pay attention to the rear structure. on a c13 the rear structure is angled where the mount plates bolt on. some 5ek engines they are straight, and some mxs engines are angled. not 100% sure on the 6nz though. just something to look out for. transmission will bolt right up, but pay attention to the torque rating of trans and clutch depending on what rating the engine that you put in will be. also, do you haul heavy with this? a 2ks c12 might not be a bad choice either. and what happened to your c13? ive seen many c13 go for a long time with the right things done.

I bought a bad C13 out of a '06 379 that dropped a valve. They swapped in a '99 5EK and only had to drill a few holes (2-3) for mount(s). The truck side of the ECM is was the same. Basically plug 'N play. Your future HP desires will determine which 3406/C15 I would pick.

Your probably going to bleed for a 6NZ. An MBN is 90% identical but can be rebuilt as a 6NZ, the 1LW is prone to breaking cranks. One other can have block issues like a small crack down by the pan but I can't remember which prefix. A 7CZ is good but rare, same with a 9NZ (very rare). If your going to high HP any of the Acert motors are bulletproof on the bottom end. (Big bearings, 4 bolt rods). The options are endless.

Last edited:
I'd never put another C13 or C12 in it. If you're concerned about torque handling capabilities of the trans just put a 3406e/c15 in it and keep the power/torque cut back. Cat's mid block cam motors are junk!

I'd never put another C13 or C12 in it. If you're concerned about torque handling capabilities of the trans just put a 3406e/c15 in it and keep the power/torque cut back. Cat's mid block cam motors are junk!

hmmm... not so true. ive seen many c13 or c12 engines go further than 3406 engines before a major failure and vise versa. and what is it that makes them junk?

hmmm... not so true. ive seen many c13 or c12 engines go further than 3406 engines before a major failure and vise versa. and what is it that makes them junk?

I've got a C12 (overhauled around 600k) and a C13 that had 800k+ before I swapped it because it was starting to get some blowby and I had a new one sitting here. The only thing I've heard that happens to them is the cam flakes and they've been known to break piston skirts if the power is turned up. Which is the only reason those are the only two trucks I have that isn't 700+hp

I worked for a trucking company that had a fleet with C12 and C13 motors, all of which were stock. They broke piston skirts, destroyed cam followers and turbochargers were a nightmare. Their older trucks with 3406e motors had very few issues.