Cab off plaining

coryjones

Hi all i been larking around for a while now doing a lot of research. I am a ford guy but the 6.0 scared me with all the stories but after a lot and i mean a lot of reading i think i am going to buy a 05-07 6.0. I looked at the 7.3 and like them but everyone around hear has them and i like the updated interior of the newer ones better and lower miles. The plain eventually is to make 500-600 rwhp reliably. I also plain to put a 3" air bagged 4 link suspension. To do this the bed has to come off and i know the cab needs to come off to do head studs and gaskets. I think i can slide the cab back with the bed off.My question is what else should i do while the cab is off and have acsess. I will be doing 4" straight pipe exhaust and sct tunner possible touchscreen extreme at the same time. Everything i have read says there is no need to replace the factory intake. Here are some of the thing i have found to do Any suggestions are welcome. I have never owned a diesel before and i am looking forward to it. Me and a buddy that has a 7.3 excursion built a biodesl possessor so i may end up running this at some point.

ARP studs
gaskets ( need to research best ones)
Egr delete
regulated fuel return line
fs-2500 filter bypass or air dog need help with this( to keep injectors healthy)
I plain to rebuild or update the turbo as well possible upgrade need to research more on it.

Put a plain ole cummins in it and you'll be $$$ ahead...no more plaining needed.

Why would i mess with that it would cost more then the truck was worth. Although i like the cummins dodge was not even a considerations as the trucks or horrible.

The 6.0l blows up in the stock form and the 7.3l has the same fuel system. After you spend your money building a 500-600rwhp powerstroke and blow it up a couple times, maybe then you'll understand.

I can afford to blow it up twice for what it would cost to put a Cummins in it. But it wont happen if done right they are just as reliable as any other. They will actully out live and out run the 7.3 if a few key issues are taken care of. I will give you the stock 03-04 ones are pos if not fixed but in 05 they had most all problems worked all. This is not a thread about changing drive train anyway. You could put a cat in a cummins and be better off there is always something better.

Last edited:
No, they arent as reliable as any other. Regardless of what all the Ford guys may say, they never fixed the problems. An 06 or 07 is just as much a POS as an 03 or 04 is.

But its your money. You can make power with a 6.0, but it costs a hell of a lot, and its nowhere near reliable. Some get lucky and have few issues

Wasn't there some rule about not bringing other brands into these discussions? We get you Cummins boys like your engines. This post had nothing to do with that, and isn't an excuse to bash Fords. Stay on topic or don't post.

Thank you 2nd post and this is the responses i get? If the 50-07 is better or not is not the issue with the heads studed there should be no more problems then anything else. It seems to me that the old 7.3 guys just don't want to except any other motor. I have heard nothing good about the 6.4 from many as well. I get it the 7.3 was made for many years and is a proven combo but that is not me i like things different. Just because you don't understand things does not make every other motor ford had a pos. I believed the 6.0 was junk until i started doing my own research. The simplest way to understand the 6.0 is to watch some of bills videos. I have read this many places and talk to some ford mechanics and this guy runs a power stroke repair shop so i think he know what he is talking about and has nothing to gain. Watch this and learn something POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners

the '03-04's weren't POS. The 05-07's still have the same issues but maybe just not as much. ford changed a few things such as the ICP location, turbo, and a few other little things, but the real big issues are still the same in the '03-04 years as they are in the 05-07 years....issues being the egr system, sticking spool valves, turbo vains sticking, and head gaskets. Fix these problems and the truck is very very reliable. My '04 has been very reliable with very very little trouble.

if you take out the egr, and do head studs you will have a very reliable truck without any issues. and if you want to keep the egr go to the earlier model of them (round not square tube) they have less issues and better flow. you also dont need to take the cab off to do the head studs/ gaskets if you put the heads on with the back studs slid in them you can bolt them all back together. (i have done 6 of them this way from 2003 model to 2007 model) i also split the 5 piece gasket and hi-tack each layer i find it helps the gaskets last longer. (but thats just my findings).

i would like to see pics of the back suspention once you finish it.

I did not mean to offend you i no they where not perfect but still good motors just trying to prove a point.

the '03-04's weren't POS. The 05-07's still have the same issues but maybe just not as much. ford changed a few things such as the ICP location, turbo, and a few other little things, but the real big issues are still the same in the '03-04 years as they are in the 05-07 years....issues being the egr system, sticking spool valves, turbo vains sticking, and head gaskets. Fix these problems and the truck is very very reliable. My '04 has been very reliable with very very little trouble.

I am glad to hear there are some smart people out there. I was unaware you could get the gaskets out with out taking the cab off. The rear suspension is a kit i seen on truck u through airbagit.com I have ordered a lot from them for the air ride on my mustang. With this you can select how much lift you want at ride hight and then it will go up and down around 4" from that.

Hear is u trucks site with episode 1. Episode 604 - Air Bag It Part 1

Hear is the link to the kit AirBagIt.com - Air Suspension Kits, Mini-Truck Parts, Sport Compact Parts! Airride, Airsprings, Towing Kits, Lambo Vertical Doors, Airbags.

if you take out the egr, and do head studs you will have a very reliable truck without any issues. and if you want to keep the egr go to the earlier model of them (round not square tube) they have less issues and better flow. you also dont need to take the cab off to do the head studs/ gaskets if you put the heads on with the back studs slid in them you can bolt them all back together. (i have done 6 of them this way from 2003 model to 2007 model) i also split the 5 piece gasket and hi-tack each layer i find it helps the gaskets last longer. (but thats just my findings).

i would like to see pics of the back suspention once you finish it.

My 05 sucks; currently in the shop for the 3rd time in the past 12 days. Just because there were a few minor changes between the 03/04-05/07 motors doesn't mean they are better. Hey, if you enjoy the thought of replacing an injector every oil change then go nuts with the modding. If the thought of this truck becoming an ever growing money pit isn't up your alley then just leave it at a few basic mods.

Head Studs
EGR Delete
CCV
Gauges (oil/water temp, egt, trans, etc)
Valvoline Extreme Synthetic
Exhaust
Tuner

Change the filters/oil before they need changed. The 6.0 injector can make you hate life if it has dirty oil.

Once you break these things open they break your wallet. Or it my case, even before then.

Just like to let people know what they are in for once that tune is loaded LOL.

Last edited:
My 05 sucks; currently in the shop for the 3rd time in the past 12 days. Just because there were a few minor changes between the 03/04-05/07 motors doesn't mean they are better. Hey, if you enjoy the thought of replacing an injector every oil change then go nuts with the modding. If the thought of this truck becoming an ever growing money pit isn't up your alley then just leave it at a few basic mods.

Head Studs
EGR Delete
CCV
Gauges (oil/water temp, egt, trans, etc)
Valvoline Extreme Synthetic
Exhaust
Tuner

Change the filters/oil before they need changed. The 6.0 injector can make you hate life if it has dirty oil.

Once you break these things open they break your wallet. Or it my case, even before then.

Just like to let people know what they are in for once that tune is loaded LOL.

they arent that bad my biggest problem was one set of head gaskets and like any vehical once you start pushing them to there limits they will start breaking.

I am glad to hear there are some smart people out there. I was unaware you could get the gaskets out with out taking the cab off. The rear suspension is a kit i seen on truck u through airbagit.com I have ordered a lot from them for the air ride on my mustang. With this you can select how much lift you want at ride hight and then it will go up and down around 4" from that.

Hear is u trucks site with episode 1. Episode 604 - Air Bag It Part 1

Hear is the link to the kit AirBagIt.com - Air Suspension Kits, Mini-Truck Parts, Sport Compact Parts! Airride, Airsprings, Towing Kits, Lambo Vertical Doors, Airbags.

thats a great idea. i might have to do that with the next truck

The points not to bash. The point is its going to suck your wallet dry more than most care. If you have the coin have at it. Like I said, some get lucky like strokin6L apparently did. But the vast majority get stuck with a POS on their hands

From what i have been reading the lack of filtration on the truck seems to be the number one problem. The 6.0 injectors are very fine and does not take much to block them and then the crap and water in the fuel gets burnt and left behind in the turbo as carbon. The oil filter is not fine enough and planed on doing a bypass filter. Dirty oil causes injector and turbo issues as well. That is why i was going to do filtration on both. But this is no guarantee. I don't no i like the 05-07 truck better but don't need the problems. The 6.4 trucks are nice but man are the horrible on fuel. At least on the 05-07 they went to a reliable hpop.

Your original post says the plan is for 5-600hp, reliably. Youd be time and money ahead with a 6.4...what is it like $2k for a Spartan tune w/DashDaq and straight pipe?

Ok, the DashDaq with Spartan tunes is $1250, plus $400 for the 275 and 310hp tunes, so $1700. Or $2k for the downloader, exhaust, intake and the 275/310 tunes. Packages

Two grand wont get you 550 at the tires on a 6.0 or 7.3. And thats 550hp reliably; Ive yet to hear of any major issues on those tunes. Small shot of N2O your over 700, and one did over 1k with 150hp nozzles, upgraded injection pump, built trans and the Spartan tuning.

Something to think about...