Cam helppppp!!!

01bbd

So I need to buy a cam for my motor I'm building I don't know how good a cast cam is and the Rpms they could be used for I'm looking at the hamilton 2.6 puller cast cam but I heard using a cast cam like that may break over 4000 rpm please I would like some options before I buy it and regret using it!!

So I need to buy a cam for my motor I'm building I don't know how good a cast cam is and the Rpms they could be used for I'm looking at the hamilton 2.6 puller cast cam but I heard using a cast cam like that may break over 4000 rpm please I would like some options before I buy it and regret using it!!

Zach is a good guy. Listen to what he says. A Hamilton is the only cam that will ever go in my trucks. For what it's worth even a stock cam will spin over 4k for a while. High rpm's are harder on any cam so if possible dyno the truck to see where it makes peak power and don't spin it any faster. And if you end up buying a Hamilton and Zach tells you it's only efficient to 4300 then don't take it any higher.

Zach is a good guy. Listen to what he says. A Hamilton is the only cam that will ever go in my trucks. For what it's worth even a stock cam will spin over 4k for a while. High rpm's are harder on any cam so if possible dyno the truck to see where it makes peak power and don't spin it any faster. And if you end up buying a Hamilton and Zach tells you it's only efficient to 4300 then don't take it any higher.

Yep. Call Zach. Do what he says. Life will be easier. :rockwoot:

Ok I'll give them a call I appreciate the input guys!!

I sled pulled with the stock cam for 6 or 7 years all over 4,000RPM holeshots it still looked great when I pulled it out for my motor rebuild. Don't rule out cast.

Cast cams that are not regrinds will live 90% of the time. If you have a big 13mm pump, if you do not have a bolt on retainer or if you have a regrind that exposes the soft metal in the cam are the reasons that you will see failures. If you are good to go on that, 10% of the time breakage happens when you lose a driveshaft or something in the driveline and spike the rpm.

In this case, a lot of stock or reground cams will break. I have had two cams break in the last 4 years that were rpm based failures. That is .013% of the cams we have sold. If you want a steel cam though, they are only a couple hundred extra. Your call.