Cam sensor/tach troubles

2141pete

Hell I dont know
Well the P-pump swap is pretty much done but the tach is on the fritz. I used the cam sensor adapter/ relocater and it seems to be lined up perfect. When I start the truck the tach comes right up to 500 RPM then bounces around a little before it just dropps back to dead. The alternator is noth charging either wich is expected since the Tach is not. My thing is I need to have this figured out and fixed by Friday. I'm just wondering if anyone else who has done the swap has run into this? I'm gonna go pick up a new CPS in the morning and try that. Also there was no ground wire on the ECM when I removed it to relocate it, would that have anything to do with it. I have talked to a few guys on the phone but always like to hear other experiences. I also heard I can go with a 94-95' alternator with an 12v keyed source for an exctier wire and be charging again but have also heard it is no different and wont work, any help on that?

Do you have the right adapter for yours? There are two diff ones.Can you see the cuts in your cam gear through the hole?

Do you have the right adapter for yours? There are two diff ones.Can you see the cuts in your cam gear through the hole?

Yeah I can see them. I took it all apart again today and looked in there.

dang...i hope mine works! i used to cam sensor adapter that GOT TORQUE makes. he used it on his and had no problems.

here it is if y'all can see that.

Attachments

• pictures of sarahs camera 272.jpg
    pictures of sarahs camera 272.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 72
heres what the front looks like.

Attachments

• pictures of sarahs camera 275.jpg
    pictures of sarahs camera 275.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 68
Pete did you use the cam and gear out of your truck? Also is yours off set like the pics? If not it should be.

Ben, yours should work fine. Apparently, the 99-00 require the cam sensor to me mounted in a slightly different location. I didn't even realize they had a cam sensor in those years?

Pete, not sure who's adapter you used, but if you have it off the case measure the thickness. It should be 0.675" thick. This thickness would be for mounting it with silicone to the case (no gasket).

I never even touched the cam sensor on my 99 and everything works fine. Pretty sure the 98.5-00 use the crank sensor only for charging and the tach.

jesse I got mine from another member that wasn't using it. it has a built on type of seal on it. I installed it so it was opened up towards the bottom. I didn't use the stock cam but the stock gear is still used. I'm at a shop right now having an external regulator added so it will at least charge and I can get to school in NC this weekend.

Mine did the same thing... not sure who's adapter I am using though, it came with the timing case. I'm thinking the spacing is to wide on the sensor to the tone ring... just haven't had a chance to work on it.

Well I Dont think it did the trick. I used an old external regulator from a 70's model truck and cut the stock plug and spliced it on. Then I ran a 12v wire to the ignition side. It holds over 12 volts but I think it will drop because the batteries have been on the charger for 2 days. This SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to be on the road to NC on sunday morning. Any other ideas?

I'm gonna go have the ALT checked again and probly have to get a new one. It still isnt charging with the external reg installed properly and they guy said yesterday when he had it apart that he didnt see how in the hell it was charging because the brushes were pretty much shot.

Yeah I thought it did. I'm getting a CPS and a new alternator tonight when they get in. I honestly think it may be the CPS now and I know for a fact the brushes in the ALT are tired. Today when I started it to do some trouble shooting the tach started working intermittently. It seems to work just fine once the engine reaches certain RPM's then bounce around. So I'm gonna check all my grounds and replace those 2 parts and hope for the best.