cam sensor?

5.9cummins06

have a 2002 24v that has an irratic idle, ranges from proper idle to just over 1000 rpm and takes a lot more cranking than usual, SOMETIMES, to start, could this be the cam sensor?

Sounds more like a fuel issue to me. When I see crank sensor's go out, usually the tach will just be wacky, i.e. jump all over the place, but the tach is the only thing that jumps not the actual idle speed of the engine. How long has that Airdog been on it and how many miles are on that vp?

Sounds more like a fuel issue to me. When I see crank sensor's go out, usually the tach will just be wacky, i.e. jump all over the place, but the tach is the only thing that jumps not the actual idle speed of the engine. How long has that Airdog been on it and how many miles are on that vp?

air dog is only a few weeks old, the VP has about 90,000 km (56,000 miles), and seems to happen be when the engine is already warm

Last edited:
check your crossover tubes for any nicks in the tips of them or any damage to the orings. I'm just wondering if maybe you already damaged the VP prior to putting the AirDog on, it's possible, it happened to me!!

Sounds kinda like a cam sensor. I had some similar issues with a truck of mine and I replaced the cam sensor and it was fine. Sometimes my truck wouldn't start and it would lope really bad when it did run. Plus the sensor is only like 55 bucks so its not a huge loss if it don't work .

check your crossover tubes for any nicks in the tips of them or any damage to the orings. I'm just wondering if maybe you already damaged the VP prior to putting the AirDog on, it's possible, it happened to me!!

its very possible. which are the crossover?

Sounds kinda like a cam sensor. I had some similar issues with a truck of mine and I replaced the cam sensor and it was fine. Sometimes my truck wouldn't start and it would lope really bad when it did run. Plus the sensor is only like 55 bucks so its not a huge loss if it don't work .

ya im picking one up on monday, worth a shot

did yours only start hard when warm? mine fires up great in the morning, not after running. if i go to start instantly, not waiting for the start light to go out, if fires up, if i wait for the light it wont fire right away, but when it does it runs fine and fires like it should, with no smoke

i guessing bad vp. my 98.5 did that when i first got it.

sounds to me like to fuel could be picking up air somewhere.....