Cam sensor?

NEsmoker

Ok so i was swaping timing covers today, and im stuped. Ive read all kinda things on the cam sensors and im lost. What do i need to make the cam sensor on my 99 bolt onto the case?
I was thinking of enlarging the whole in the timing pin holder so the cam sensor sits in that. Will that work or what can i do. Ive seen the relocating bosses for the sensors but they all say for 01-02. So i dunno.:bang

98-2000 dont need the cam sensor. Just use the the stock timing pin from the 12v or make a block off plate

98-2000 dont need the cam sensor. Just use the the stock timing pin from the 12v or make a block off plate

Is it off the crank on the older ones, sorry don't have much 24V experience.

My build was already a P-pump so changing over to a 12 is really just about the sensors as I see it but I'm still learning.

Jim

Yup thats the info i got also. Just eliminate the cam sensor and put the timing pin in.

dont you have to intall the 12v cam gear so you can get use of the pin.

I have an adapter that would work to place the cam sensor on your 99 if you want... I'll sell it cheap.

dont you have to intall the 12v cam gear so you can get use of the pin.

Cam gear from my '00 engine has the pin hole in the back of it. I'd wager that most 98-00 gears are like that.

Yes they would. That sensor reads off that whole i asume. On my 99 gear the whole is elongated vertically over the 12v gear but would still work the same with the timing pin.

98-00 you need the relocator kit that just moves the cam senors father away from the back of the cover no clearancing is necessary, 01-02 you have to use the relocator kit that moves the sensor to the outside of the tone ring which mean you hafta kinda waller out the whole in the cover to get it to fit right

I assume since some here are saying you need it and some don't it's a preferrence thing? So what exactly does the cam sensor do on a 98.5-00 truck?

As far as I can tell it does nothing. The crank sensor is used for the tach and charging.

As far as I can tell it does nothing. The crank sensor is used for the tach and charging.

Cool thanks! So does the crank sensor on 98.5-00 tie in with more than just the tach and alternator such as A/C & Cruise Control or is that just o1-02?

01 and 02 don't even have crank sensors...

What I'm asking is on the 98.5-00 does the cam sensor play a part in the A/C and Cruise functions or are they controlled by the crank sensor or some other way?

Last edited:
98.5-00 crank sensor does the same thing as the 01-02 cam sensor. 98.5-00 cam sensor does the same thing as the 01-02 crank sensor.