Cams in street applications!

Mudn_1

Sweet Home
Who's running an aftermarket cam in a mainly street only truck?

Was it a significant improvement??

would you do again?

I'm running a HD big stick cam in my truck and I noticed better spool up with my 62/71/14. a buddy of mine has the same setup as me except the cam and his is a manual and I spool about 200RPMs faster.

ok soo it helps with spool up, but what about topend power? would you do it again?

ok soo it helps with spool up, but what about topend power? would you do it again?

heck yeah i'm building a 6.7 and it will have a cam in it as well. the power is straight thru. i haven't dynoed it with the cam but what i have seen when my buddy dynoed his truck after a cam install the curve was flater didn't peak as much.
i had a H2 and swapped it for a HD and i like the HD better.

I run a MaxSpool2. Can't say what the difference over stock was since t was put in when the motor was built for my truck but comparing to oter trucks I've been in with mid-size compounds like mine...mine spools quicker for sure even with a tight converter.

I'd definitly use one again if I built a new motor.

I have a Diesel pros in mine and love it, It hards to say because I did a complete new motor when I did it. I know my brother and a few others from the shop have just done cams recently and love them.

I have the HD big stick also and you can notice the faster spooling of larger chargers. Hey skynard what tolerances are you running on your intake and exhaust valves??

it seems the only change is quicker spool up, that's cool and all, but I am really wondering about more mid-range and topend power!

My truck sees 30k+ miles a year and gets driven every day does that count? LOL

I'm running a HD Big stick and I'd do it again in a heart beat. Spool up was vastly improved and mid to top end felt better but I can't say for sure because you know how my truck dynos. Truck definitely ran much better with the HD cam over the stocker. The cam is the 2nd best mod I've done next to my tranny.

Mine is a maxspool 2.5,pulls vary hard until my fuel cuts down at 3200.When i get that figured out i am sure it will pull to 4000 with ease.As with others here, i did a few mods at once so cant really say the difference.It is however nite to day difference to the old setup.I would get another cam from Greg if i built another engine.

a cam is definitely going in my motor when it gets built before the swap.

Garrett

I have a Maxspool 2.5++ and with a s465 and it spools so well I'm half tempted to hook the bobcat up and tow it to work LOL Though, like most other guys here, I put it in during a motor build, so I can't really say what is the cam and what is the other mods... but I would never consider another motor without a cam .

If I was not running an aftermarket cam (Fletcher's drop in), I never would have asked Engineered Diesel to build me a 66mm charger to run over their s476 on my daily driver.

I loved the improvements my PDR cam gave my truck. I got lower boost, slower rise on the EGTs, lower max on EGTs, MUCH better spoolup, lower amounts of smoke at all throttle positions and a mileage increase. If I ever have another truck and the funds are available I will do a cam without a doubt as well as cylinder head porting.

If I was not running an aftermarket cam (Fletcher's drop in), I never would have asked Engineered Diesel to build me a 66mm charger to run over their s476 on my daily driver.

Let me know how that runs for ya. My 66/71/13ss is a freaking blast to drive and spools as easily as my 62 did and with this 215 pump I'm going to need all the air I can get.

Let me know how that runs for ya. My 66/71/13ss is a freaking blast to drive and spools as easily as my 62 did and with this 215 pump I'm going to need all the air I can get.

I just got back from the first test run. I need to play with the gate a little bit to run the bottom charger harder, but so far, it's awesome as a DD. It will flat out rip too :)

I'll bet. It's probably one of those one..two...threeeeeholymotherofblessedacceleration type setup's isn't it?

Back