Can a broken injector hurt the VP44??

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
A guy I know had a stock injector break on his 01 (auto/SO pump) last week. It started running rough, pouring whtie smoke, then the oil filled with fuel and it puked every where. Turns out half of the tip of the #3 injector broke off, a very small piece, small enough to escape thru the valve.

He puts a set of new 60hp stick in, changes the oil and fires it up and now it has a very rough lope at idle like its running on 5 cylinders. No metal scraping, knocking or other internal sounds. So I cracked some injector lines to see what happens, on 1,2,4 when i crack the line the motor gets REALLY rough. But when I cracked #3 the motor sound doesn't change one bit. Is it possible that when the tip broke off, that lack of pressure at the injector could have damaged the VP44 where it meters the fuel for cylinder #3?

Also another side-affect is now after having all the blow by puking out from the fuel in the oil, the motor seems to have a large amount of vapor blowing out the breather bottle or oil fill cap when you take it off. Any idea whats causing that?

Hope he didn't wash down that #3 cylinder with all that fuel from that broken tip.

I would agree with dlfarmboy sounds like the fuel may have washed the cylinder wall and he has more of a problem than vp44

I'm with Brett...sounds like he may have have fubared that hole...I'd do a compression or leak down test.

Chris

Back