Can a old ECM be programed with a diff vin?

pro99

Abused Tech
I have a 2005 5.9 ECM that is bad and found a good ECM out of another 2005 same motor, trans, 4x4 and gearing. Can I reprogram the new ECM out of that other truck with the vin from my truck? Or do I even need to do it without turning on the check engine light? Can cummins do it or the dealer do it or anyone on here? Thanks

Last edited:
Dealer.. Cummins Distributer wont be able to communicate. I know that the other modules on the truck require the VIN's to match so I figure it wont work just with at straight swap install... ABS, Cruse, Dash, may be in operational.

if you had a bullydog triple dog or something you could, im sure a smarty tuner could to

There not going to change the actually vin on the ecm. you can only change it for the tuner itself

I will. If it can I'd definitely like to know how. I've always been told it can't. Granted I haven't for sure tried to do it though

If by "they", you meant the dealer, I misunderstood.

They say you can't on the 10-12's either, but we did it with a WiTech. Not sure on the 03-05.

They also said you can't on the Fords, but have done it many times with an IDS

I meant with the bully dog/smarty. I was always told they can't change a vin in an ECM.

i cant say for sure with smarty, but ive done it with triple dogs many many times

make a recovery file with the VIN and PN that you want and it will force it in

Seveal guys have got recovery files from Bob Wagner to program there trucks with used ecm whith smarty. I do know i asked my dealer before he told me they send ecm out to be wiped then program.

i can make triple dog files thats easy, but not smarty ones

Completely 10% of the subject matter now but.. From what I understand you can recalibrate an old ECM using Dodge tooling.. It requires the correct vin (HIS truck) to download the correct vehicle packaged calibration. Also agreed, good luck finding a dealer willing.

Also, fantastic collective knowledge

Last edited: