Can straight piping cause running issues?

LiftedBlackHD

On Thursday I took my truck to the muffler shop, had them cut off the cat and muffler and weld in a 3.5" pipe in it's place. Everything was fine on thursday.

Friday I drove about 100 miles on a trip and just before I arrived I felt what I would describe as a "surge" on the freeway. (the truck suddenly powered up) Then when I got off the freeway I noticed it again a few times. I parked and shut the truck off to go in the store, came back out went to start it and it started and died twice. The 3rd time it was fine. The next morning the truck ran fine for the 100 mile trip back home.

Saturday It surged a couple times again and also did the start and die thing. This truck has ran flawlessly until friday morning...

Could the straight piping cause this?

unless something else was cut or messed with i say no. It could just be a coincidence that something else is the matter. Im a 7.3 guy, so dont take my word for it.

Anything is possible I guess, but I have been straight piped since last summer with no problems.
I did get the reflash that does away with the ebp, have you?

nummit said:
Anything is possible I guess, but I have been straight piped since last summer with no problems.
I did get the reflash that does away with the ebp, have you?

No I didn't. Didn't know there was one. Do you have a link or any more info on that flash?

i ran mine straight piped for 6 months, no issues except the sound. I ended up putting a little Dynomax straight-thru deal, very small but knocked just the brap off a little.

LiftedBlackHD said:
No I didn't. Didn't know there was one. Do you have a link or any more info on that flash?

I don't, sorry. All I know about it is when I got new headgaskets,turbo egr, etc...under warranty last year my truck was also reflashed to what ever the latest flash was at the time. I know that flash got rid of the ebp, or atleast some part of it.

You could ask Doug over at GOGO.
Great site for info like that
http://www.gogodiesel.com/forum/index.php?sid=f0bdfbb43e5aefd64237848908b089c3

Miraculously the problem has seemed to have gone away... I plugged the egr back in. I then ran the truck up to normal operating temp, turned the key off then on for 5 seconds...twice. Then started it and let it idle for 5 minutes. ( I read about this procedure somewhere) The problem seems to have gone away and the CEL has gone off. I believe the problem had something to do with the EGR...