CAT gurus....Please help.. Cat D6D low on power

TxDiesel007

Uncommon CR problemed
I dont know if i am asking this in the right forum or not,

But right now we are dealing with a Cat D6D tractor that has all of a sudden gone low on power... The most recent repair to the tractor was the elbow taht connects from the turbo to the stack, (exhaust) and since then the tractor has gone low on power. What can be the cause? Similar to our trucks, is it fuel pressure? The tractor does not smoke black at all, and the turbo is in fair condition at best. One of the fuel filters has been changed, the main one off the block, im not sure if there is another one.... or what steps to take to get this thing running the way it should be once again...

Please help this rookie with CATS get this old tractor back up to spec...

Rick

Has that Cat got the 3306 in it? If so the AFC on the pump has a diaphram that fails often. Pull the air line that comes from the side of the cylinder head to the back of the pump and see if you can blow air through it. you should not be able to blow air through it. only 20 psi max. Check the throtle linkage also for max rack travel.

Malcolm

I'm an Army mechanic and we had D6G's with rippers for a few years at my last unit. I had operators complaining for 6 months about the dozers having "no balls". Eventually I replaced the turbos, and all problems were solved. I'm not sure if the D's have turbos.....what setup is the D?

try the other filter. The 2002 does this on a regular basis. The 06' doesn't seem to have the problem but it also has different fuel filters.

24VChevy said:
Check the throtle linkage also for max rack travel.

Malcolm

You would be surprised how many people suffer this same problem.

Have you taken any fuel lines off. I know on our equipment, cummins powered, sometimes when we do work or run out of fuel, we have to crack the fuel lines to the injectors and prime the air out of the system.

sadly, the most overlooked mistake is a dirty air filter. i too used to be in the u.s. army and used to work for holt cat. customers would complain often of lack of power, pull the filter out and it is caked. sometimes they wouldnt be caked but you barely tap them and enough to fill a sand box would fall out. start with the basics and then go deeper.