CCV mod ?

bushpilot

anyone ever do a ccv mod...id love to get this oil outta my intercooler

wish to god racor or someone made a ccv filter/set up...i bet
theyd sell a **** load of 'em !

i did it but dont have a racor or any other type of filter on it. i need to tho. mine just comes out under the truck. smells nice when its warm.

Garrett

i realize its probaby not that hard to do...just figuring out how
to seal off the t fitting / suction @ the intake pipe (such that i
could put it back if for the remaining 50k of my warranty)

ive seen some that just put like a copper brillo pad in a can to allow
the oil to filter thru and then put a drain/pet cock on it at the bottom
of the cambells soup can ;)

I wonder if i could adapt this RACOR filter...dont see why not !?!

i guess SIZING would be my biggest question...

bushpilot said:
i realize its probaby not that hard to do...just figuring out how
to seal off the t fitting / suction @ the intake pipe (such that i
could put it back if for the remaining 50k of my warranty)

ive seen some that just put like a copper brillo pad in a can to allow
the oil to filter thru and then put a drain/pet cock on it at the bottom
of the cambells soup can ;)

you can put a pvc plug in the intake and a band clamp on the other side to make sure its secure.

what exactly does this ccv mod do? I've heard about it but never read into it. When I was trying to take the 'silencer ring' off my turbo (to no avail) I noticed the oil. I just wiped it clean and have read it's no biggy. thanks for any info!

darsey715 said:
what exactly does this ccv mod do? I've heard about it but never read into it. When I was trying to take the 'silencer ring' off my turbo (to no avail) I noticed the oil. I just wiped it clean and have read it's no biggy. thanks for any info!

it keeps the oil out of the CAC tubes and subsequently the intercooler. The oil in the CACs contributes to them blowing off and in the IC...well thats just never good

as for the silencer ring, did you try to just take it off or mill it off?

a catch can would be great, but IMHO the space that you have to work with (and route the hose) is minimal at best

Last edited:
The bottom link I posted is a reroute back into the intake track but it catches all the oil. So you get the best of both worlds.
I ran the top link on on my car which had a bigger turbo than our trucks (and I ran 37 psi of boost)and it worked great. I just used -10 lines on it and I had to modify the catch can to accept the larger line.

Last edited:
I switched my drivers side valve cover to an 03 that only had one hole in it (unlike the 04+ that have 4 holes) and brazed a 12an male fitting in it. mounted the ccv 4500 on the drivers side inner fender after i relocated the tranfer case relays. I drilled and tapped the upper oil pan for the drain off the ccv. then i used a 12an bulkhead fitting to plumb it back in to the afe intake tube. I drilled and saftey wired the nut on the inside of the intake so it can't come loose and take out the turbo.

Attachments

• ccv.JPG
    ccv.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 29
  • ccv2.JPG
    ccv2.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 16
Nice, clean install.
Is there anything you haven't done to your truck? :hehe:

Make it to the track without breaking something on the way.

SINNER said:
I switched my drivers side valve cover to an 03 that only had one hole in it (unlike the 04+ that have 4 holes) and brazed a 12an male fitting in it. mounted the ccv 4500 on the drivers side inner fender after i relocated the tranfer case relays. I drilled and tapped the upper oil pan for the drain off the ccv. then i used a 12an bulkhead fitting to plumb it back in to the afe intake tube. I drilled and saftey wired the nut on the inside of the intake so it can't come loose and take out the turbo.

any more pics ?

can the 4500 be a closes system (that is do i HAVE to feed the
oil collected back into the engine or can i just drain it ocassionally) ?

bushpilot said:
any more pics ?

can the 4500 be a closes system (that is do i HAVE to feed the
oil collected back into the engine or can i just drain it ocassionally) ?
I ran mine as a closed system at first but it is a PITA to get at the drain where mine is mounted. i will take some more pics this week when i change my backpressure sensor. turbo is oil free with the system and so far the filter minder on top hasn't moved. 18,000 miles on it.

_CH_ said:
it keeps the oil out of the CAC tubes and subsequently the intercooler. The oil in the CACs contributes to them blowing off and in the IC...well thats just never good

as for the silencer ring, did you try to just take it off or mill it off?

a catch can would be great, but IMHO the space that you have to work with (and route the hose) is minimal at best
I was told I could use a flat head and it would "pop off". well, it didn't pop off. lol

darsey715 said:
I was told I could use a flat head and it would "pop off". well, it didn't pop off. lol
03 will pop off, all others need machined off.

I can tell you this. If you just take a 1/2inch pipe tap you can tap the inside of the 90 degree elbow from the drivers valve cover. If you point the elbow forward you can route a tube forward and have it vent near the radiator. I originally tried a 1/2 pipe fitting to a 3/8 hose barb. Ran a 3/8id hose forward for the vent. The crankcase pressure in a 6.0L is a little too much to try to run a 3/8 hose. Switched to a 5/8id hose and no more issues. At idle with a tune in the truck it would intermittantly start smoking out the tail pipe. Apparently the pressure would build up and start to push oil past the rings.

PSDPlayer said:
I can tell you this. If you just take a 1/2inch pipe tap you can tap the inside of the 90 degree elbow from the drivers valve cover. If you point the elbow forward you can route a tube forward and have it vent near the radiator. I originally tried a 1/2 pipe fitting to a 3/8 hose barb. Ran a 3/8id hose forward for the vent. The crankcase pressure in a 6.0L is a little too much to try to run a 3/8 hose. Switched to a 5/8id hose and no more issues. At idle with a tune in the truck it would intermittantly start smoking out the tail pipe. Apparently the pressure would build up and start to push oil past the rings.

yeah what this guy said:blahblah1:

PSDPlayer said:
I was told the 6.0's like a little vacuum for the crankcase. It was either the ccv filter or run a line into the exhaust to provide the vacuum