Ceramic coating for heads?

Being anodizing is a chemical process, can you elaborate on how they do it ?

Edit: And I thought anodizing could only be done to aluminum, and colors only applied to billet aluminum?

It can also be done to titanium and magnesium. Heat anodizing can be done to steel, but it's not the same.

My apologies, yes that is te key being a cast head, hard anodizing is out.

Well my cylinder head is done. I need a new one. Anybody know what new 6.7 heads go for? Are there any better castings out there?
Once I get it I've got a lot of work to do to it. It will also get ceramic coating this time around.

Wonder what country it's made in? That might tell you something. Also, where are the most "problem areas" on these heads? The same place your having trouble?

Mine is cracking valve to valve. I'm also wondering if we got to aggressive with the porting. Making it too thin in the bowls.
I'm going to compression test mine to see if I can pinpoint what cylinder is leaking the most before I rip the head off AGAIN!

Stock head with no porting still cracks between the valves. My old 06 head had 11 cracks total 3 of with bleed into the water jackets.

Stock head with no porting still cracks between the valves. My old 06 head had 11 cracks total 3 of with bleed into the water jackets.

Doing some research to see if I could fill my head to limp it through the year.
I'm loosing a good amount of compression out the radiator hose.

The research I've done on comp-d on 12v heads showed that of all the different companies that Cummins used to produce castings, the International castings seemed to be more favored for strength. Maybe you need a different casting mfg.?

Do NOT buy a Promaxx head. The heads those guys make are complete junk. Lots of people got screwed over buying their gasser heads years ago. It was bad enough that the company changed its name the now "Promaxx Performance"

Thanks for the info

Just stuck my latest head into the oven.

P1070391_zps76d5d77b.jpg

made it home and remembered to upload my pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0407.jpg
    IMG_0407.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 0
Nice! I see you filled the dead areas in between the ports too. We found a little more cfms doing the same.

Interested to see if this helps enough with heat to keep it from cracking. Ive run coatings on pistons but never on combustion chambers themselves so far.
As far as I know only metals like aluminum can be anodized. Steel can be parkerized (phosphated) which is a little different.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what I'm doing but haven't cracked a head yet. Not looking forward at all to putting the same time porting a new one. Pretty sure I heard of some puller's filling the head but run time must be severely limited.