Change converter stall or not?

Trap_Shooter

Here in the next month or two I'll be sending my VB to Gorend for some changes, and I was wondering if I should do the same with the TQ converter. It has a 1500 stall in it right now and I was wondering if I should have it put back to stock stall. My plans for the truck are a 63/68 or a 64/71 charger then later down the road throw a s480 under it as a twin setup. I was just wanting some of your guys input on how well the chargers will light. Thanks.

Give it time man This board isn't as fast moving as that other board.

I would wait and see how the charger(s) lite with the one you have. Its not like you have to pull the trans to send the vb out. Run the lowest stall you can that will still allow you to lite the charger good.

i have 64/483 twins and a 1600 stall spools just fine a little lag but really puts the power down.

When they did my transmission I used a tighter converter, about 400rpms lower that stock. made a big difference, truck will pull itself up a good hill by itself just letting off the brakes. I run a smaller turbo right now but am going to a 63/68/14 as well.... I also run 35" tires. The 62/65 I have now spools fine, I build 5lbs of boost by 1200rpms just in town.

Thanks for the input guys, I will most likely go with a 63/480 when I do go with twins.

I had a 62/65/14 on my 89 with Goerend's lowest stall converter in my 727 and it still spooled well as long as I was under about 3,000 feet.

Keep the tighter stall. Worse case there are products about to hit the market which will alleviate most spool issues from mismatched converter and turbo choices. My 1800 stall was more fun to drive than the current 2200. I made the switch to the 2200 stall because of horrible spool up times at the tree during previous drag racing runs with the 1800 stall.

Last edited:
So lower RPM is tighter correct and higher stall is looser?? Whats the stock stall RPM of a 04 5.9 Converter?

You need to ask Gertrude or Helga about the blow off valve I bet they dont think it's "gey" lol.